This plugin will enable the creation of widgets that can grab a single page or post and display information in various ways. This is a very handy plugin for those wanting more CMS functionality out of wordpress. Currently the plugin should be considered in beta. Please send your feedback my way.
Currently it’s possible to select a post or page id from which to display a (custom) title, a thumbnail in a selected size before or after the text (using wp 2.9+ thumbnail features). You can provide a custom ‘read more’ link. You can display the excerpt, the full content, or a custom field.
warning : do not use this with anything lower than wordpress 2.9
Help with configuring styling settings
More advanced excerpt options
Tutorials / example uses
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- In the ‘Widgets’ panel you will be able to add Super Page Widgets to your widget areas.
- Configure the widget with the options available
- What can this plugin be used for?
They are a replacement in situations where one would typically use text widgets. Text widgets are clunky, user unfriendly and you can’t move them easily without losing content. If you want to display information in columns, sidebars or other widget areas you can manage the information through creating a page or post and grab the information from that page or post and pull it into the widget. With various options available you can quickly create cms type pages.
- I don’t see a ‘read more’ link?
Check your widget settings and make sure you defined a ‘more text’. This plugin bypasses the automatic ‘more’ text generated by wordpress (typically […]) and uses the widget setting instead.
This plugin can be greatly complimented by ‘Widget Logic’, the ‘Front-end-editor plugin’ and future versions of my very own splittesting plugin.
- Where can I get support?
Contributors & Developers
“Super Post and Page Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
Interested in development?
- please back up your wordpress install and settings prior to updating!
- much improved excerpt functionality. Will generate a custom field with an excerpt pulled from the content based on user defined character length.
- by default, will check if a manual excerpt was set, if not, the auto generated excerpt (the one this plugin creates) will be used. Optional setting to override the wordpress excerpt and always use the auto generated version
- adapted to become compatible with the front-end editor plugin (highly recommended)
- added ability to customize ‘more text, ‘custom widget title’ and ‘custom excerpt’ from the page/post edit screen as well as the widget panel itself.
- better defaults
- widget is now wrapped in a div with a class called super-id# to ease custom design and css styling
- added a column to the manage posts and manage pages screen to easily identify page/post ids
- small bug fixes
- important bug fix to page excerpt functionality
- small code improvement
- added automatic themesupport for thumbnail features introduced in wp 2.9
- added automatic page excerpts support
- added functionality to give links a name tag
- improved overall functionality
- option to enable or disable title link
- option to use custom field as the content
- updated 01/31/2010 23:39
- Alpha Version of the plugin 01/28/2010 01:41