The «Summary box for Wikipedia links» plugin brings the Page Previews from WikiMedia to your website! It displays simple and nice summary boxes on every Wikipedia link. Once activated, it turns all existing and new Wikipedia links on your site into ones with interactive summary boxes!
Authors and visitors love it! ❤️
- Simplifies content creation by providing on-demand term explanations.
- Connects your visitors to Wikipedia’s wealth of knowledge.
- Enhances your site with a simple, valuable, useful and nice feature!
This plugin …
- works smoothly with touch and mouse on mobile and desktop.
- works out of the box, just set a normal Wikipedia link and the summary box appears.
- supports all existing languages and text directions (ltr, rtl) on Wikipedia.
- does not affect your website in any way.
- is based on our library that can bring this feature to any website, not just WP, first release was 12/2021.
- is very lightweight, free and open source.
Settings. You have control over whether to …
- show summary boxes for all Wikipedia links, or none but only show selected ones.
- show images in all boxes, or none but also only in selected ones.
- display or hide each box and each image within it separately.
- change the width of the summary boxes, the number of characters displayed, the font size and more.
Best of all, using the settings it’s really simple, but in most cases you don’t need them at all, just activate the plugin and see if you like it.
Give it a try!
Thank you very much.
The first version was created for our “The Horse” project, which supports cross-border student learning and collaboration projects. If you find the plugin helpful, please consider supporting the development by donating to THE ! association.
For suggestions or inquiries, feel free to contact us
- From your WordPress dashboard go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for Summary box for Wikipedia links in the Search Plugins box.
- Click Install Now to install the Summary box for Wikipedia links plugin.
- Click Activate to activate the plugin.
- After activating the plugin all existing and new Wikipedia links on your website will automatically show a nice preview box with a article summary of the Wikipedia article.
- After that you can change the appearance of the boxes in the settings page (go to “Settings”, “Summary for Wikipedia”) if you like to do so.
You can also download the plugin directly as a ZIP file from the repository (github.com) and install it in WordPress via “Plugins”, “Add New”, “Upload Plugin”.
Why is no image in a specific summary box?
Not all, but most, Wikipedia articles contain an image that can be displayed in the summary box. Also make sure that you didn’t use the “#dontshowimage” parameter in your Wikipedia link or you have selected “Disable Images” in the administration.
Why is a particular summary box showing fewer characters than set in the admin?
The value set in the admin is a maximum. The number of characters displayed in a summary box also depends on the text in the linked Wikipedia article.
How do I customize the settings for the summary boxes?
In your WordPress admin area, navigate to Settings > Summary for Wikipedia. There, you can adjust the width, number of characters, font size, disable showing images in all summary boxes, and more.
I did a change in the settings but it seems not to have an effect.
The pages of your website may be cached by your web server or browser – please clear these caches.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Summary box for Wikipedia links” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
1.0.0 – 20.11.2023
- Initial release.
1.0.0 – 24.11.2023
- Update Details text.
1.0.1 – 25.11.2023
- Added some allowed tags in the summary box.
1.0.1 – 27.11.2023
- Update Details text; settings, FAQ, screenshot added.
Version 1.0.1, 27 November 2023, df
Dominik Fehr, firstname.lastname@example.org