If you find your media file attachments are being targeted by spam comments then here is the solution for you.
Stop Media Comment Spamming removes the ability for visitors to comment on media attachments. It does not remove commenting from any other part of your WordPress installation.
Visitors will still be able to comment on your posts and pages.
Why would you need this plugin?
WordPress natively allows comments to be left on any file in the Media Library.
Unfortunately spammers can target this and quickly leave horrible and unrelated comments on your site.
WordPress provides no way in Admin Dashboard to disable this feature.
Some of the spam seems to get through popular spam filtering plugins.
You still want to allow visitors to comments on your posts and pages.
If only there was a plugin that allowed you to stop visitors leaving comments on media files.
Ta da! Here’s one.
- Download the plugin zip file & unzip it
- Copy the folder stop-media-comment-spamming into the directory /wp-content/plugins/
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Your media library file attachments now have their comments disabled.
No more spam for those.
- Does the plugin do anything else?
I uploaded a bunch of media in a new site before I remembered to turn comments off. I installed and activated this plugin and voila – all media pages now have comments disabled. Thank you.
Contributors & Developers
“Stop Media Comment Spamming” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.7
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.5.2
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.4
- Changed contributor to DeveloperWil
- Removed closing PHP tag at end of main file
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.3
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.1
- Checked compatibility with WordPress 4.0
- Bug fix for PHP object error
- Corrected some typos
- Initial release.