Social Gator will enable a widget to be placed in one of your sidebars. After configuring the widget with your social RSS feeds, your sidebar will be populated with the latest from your social life with the network’s icon beside it.
This widget will aggregate all of your feeds and sort them chronologically and show the latest feeds on your site. You can allow between 1 – 10 updates at a single time.
Sometimes, your RSS feeds can be tricky to find. Please refer to the FAQ section for help finding your social network RSS feeds.
This widget expands upon Status Press by Brian Goad.
- Upload to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Place the widget into your sidebar
- Where do I find the RSS feed to my social networks?
– Login to your Facebook account.
– Click on the Notifications Icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
– Click on “See All” link
– On the right hand portion of the screen, you’ll see a “Subscribe to Notifications” section.
– Click on the “via RSS” icon.
– This will give you the RSS for all of your activity and your friends’ activity. In your address bar, locate where the URL contains ‘notifications.php’ and change that to ‘status.php’ and hit enter.
– Copy and paste this URL into the Facebook field of the Social Gator widget
– Browse to your Twitter profile by going to http://twitter.com/your_user_name
– Find the RSS icon in the right hand panel and click it
– Copy and paste this URL into the Twitter field of the Social Gator widget
– Browse to your YouTube account by going to http://www.youtube.com/user/your_user_name
– Click the RSS icon in your address bar
– Copy and paste this URL into the YouTube field of the Social Gator widget
– Login to your Picasa account
– On your Picasa homepage, click on the RSS icon in your address bar
– Copy and paste this URL into the Picasa field of the Social Gator widget
– You can alternatively choose a specific album. To do this, login to your account and click a specific album. Click the RSS icon in your address bar.
– Browse to your flickr account
– Click on the RSS icon in the address bar
– Copy and paste this URL into the Flickr field of the Social Gator widget
- Any security concerns with this plugin?
Yes, if you supply the RSS feed to your private feeds and allow them to be placed on your site, then people who are not connected with you in your networks will be able to see your status updates if they browse to your site.
- How come my latest status isn’t reflected on my site?
The RSS feeds are cached and are updated every 5 minutes. Give it a break!
Contributors & Developers
“Social Gator” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
- Initial release