IMPORTANT: this plugin has been abandoned!
If you are a developer and would like to fork, feel free to do so (under the
GPLv3 license). No need to contact me.
Smilies Themer Toolbar provides a toolbar to easily add custom smilies to comments.
It also integrates into tinyMCE, the rich text editor that you use when
you write the posts.
It integrates with Smilies Themer
plugin, and therefore requires it.
You can change your smilies theme in your blog, and the toolbar is automagically updated!
NEW!!! Now you can choose which smilies to show, and even in what
order, via a easy drag and drop interface!
For further info visit plugin homepage.
- Clicking on smilies doesn’t work!
Double check if your theme calls wp_footer() in footer.php, if not, add this
near the end of the file:
<?php wp_footer(); ?>
- Can I place the toolbar where I want?
By default, Smilies Themer Toolbar is placed after the comments form, but
if you want to put it in a nicer position, don’t worry, it isn’t that difficult.
Edit your theme (comments.php) and put this code where you want to show the toolbar:
<?php if (function_exists('sm_toolbar_show')) sm_toolbar_show();?>
- Some smilies show as text, for example `<3` … What can I do?
It’s an issue in your smilies package, but you can fix it quite easily.
Go inside your smilies package, and open
package-config.phpwith a text
You will find plenty of things like this:
':-)' => 'smile.png'.
Check if the smiley (the text before
'') contains special
&and replace them with
Then save and upload the file.
- I want to translate the plugin in my language!
Now you can easily translate the plugin online here:
I’ll add your translations to the plugin!
- Added Japanese translation, thanks to Chestnut.
- Fixed compatibility with WP 3.1.
- Fixed alt-text mouseover with smilies containing special html characters:
- Now the smiley text is shown on mouseover also in Firefox, Chromium,
Opera and Safari.
- Fixed an issue in the options page with icon themes containing many
smilies: they were overflowing out of the boxes.
- Added an icon to the admin menu.
- Updated italian translation.
- Fixed an issue with duplicate smilies in some themes (e.g. Mystique)
- Fixed compatibility with MCEComments.
- Added (very) initial Turkish translation. Thanks to zeugma.
- Fixed an issue with some themes (e.g. Mandingo): the smilies were all
in a row, causing the layout to be screwed up.
- Critical bugfix: jQuery wasn’t loaded, so if it wasn’t already loaded
by another plugin/theme, it didn’t work at all.
- Completely rewritten. Hopefully I haven’t introduced many bugs.
- New feature: now you can choose which smilies to show in the toolbar.
You can still view the others clicking on More.
- New feature: now you can rearrange the order of the smilies, via a
drag ‘n drop interface.
- Added multilanguage support.
- Added italian translation.
- Now it’s based on jQuery, it’s faster, less buggy and easier to maintain.
- Dropped the popup in tinyMCE, it was ugly and a PITA to maintain. You can
use the nice smilies box in the new post page, it’s way better.
- Improved compatibility in admin page with WP prior to 2.7
- Another trivial change.
- New feature: Now the smilies toolbar in the admin area works also with
the HTML editor.
- Now the script is loaded only when needed.
- New feature: movable smilies box in admin area, when writing a new
post. Move it where you want (WP>=2.7)
- Fixed compatibility with WP 2.6 in admin page.
- Fixed compatibility with WordPress 2.6.