Why should I install this search goodness?
- You don't have to setup and mantain an indexing engine since Microsoft BING crawls your website for you
- Keep in mind that a large percentage of users, first will scroll the page looking for a search input box - [Steve Krug]
- It is not always easy to provide a lean navigation structure, especially when you have a deep content structure. An efficient search and find approach leads to more page views.
- Sooner or later, users will think "Let me find it" or "Let me see if is here". Allow them to do it well!
- User experience is more pleasant if you can easily find what you need
- A website with a good search engine gains reliability
Why BING and not something else?
- BING is free up to 5,000 search queries per month
- No credit card required
- Other plans over this threshold are competitive too
- BING is the most competitive one I've been able to find for this kind of API
- BING search results are always satisfactory as well as those of Google
On top of that Smart Search is flexible enough for developers who want to use a different search engine provider.
- Highlighter is broken in title or is breaking something else
This issue is generally theme related.
Let me guess, your theme's search.php file has a function call that looks like this:
<h2 title="<?php the_title() ?>"><?php the_title() ?></h2>
This happens because the_title() is not supposed to be used in HTML attributes. In this case the_title_attribute() should be used instead.
This is the correct usage:
<h2 title="<?php the_title_attribute() ?>"><?php the_title() ?></h2>
Have a look at this post to deepen.
- Check if your website is indexed by BING: go to http://bing.com and type the following
replace "mysite.com" with your domain.
If you see some results you're on the good way, otherwise let BING index your blog.
Important Note: Taxonomy pages like /category/news, /tags/politics, /author/john etc. are not included in search results because they're archives, not posts or pages. This is one of the core features of Smart Search Pro
2. If you have any other search related plugin active, try to deactivate it in order to avoid unexpected conflicts.