Engage users by adding a personalized RSS feed reader into their browser!
Extension Factory is a free service that creates a custom browser add-on for all browsers, from your WordPress blog.
Everyone can subscribe to your blog and get content updates effortless !
The activation process is extremely simple and viral:
- install and activate the Site Button plugin
- your visitors see a discreet bottom invitation to add your blog to their browser
- when clicked, a personalized browser add-on (using your RSS feeds and logo) is added to the browser
- visitors closing the invitation will not see it for one week
- custom RSS reader, activated by clicking on a dynamic browser icon
- icon badge, using the website favicon and showing the nb of unread articles
- real-time content notifications (Chrome, and Firefox soon)
- topics customization
- bookmarking / read later features
- more page views, all traffic is redirected to your blog
- more user engagement
- works seamlessly on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer
- white label approach: we use your icons and feeds!
- immediate set-up, no coding
- Go to your
- Click on the Add New button on the top
- Search for
- Click on
- Activate your plugin!
- Download site button zip file from https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/site-button-by-extension-factory/
- Uncompress to a
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
You’re all set! A toolbar will now show to your blog readers, suggesting to install your customized Site Button browser add-on.
Also see the Extension Factory Builder FAQ
- What is the Extension Factory?
It’s a free web service that turns any website with RSS feeds into browser extensions (also called browser “add-ons”) for Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Firefox (soon).
- What kind of browser extensions does this service produce ?
It produces a nice customized RSS reader that is permanently available in your user’s browser, as an icon. Other engaging features will keep the user in touch with you : live notifications whenever your feeds change, bookmarking features, etc…
- How can I try it and see how it looks for my website ?
Install the plugin and click on the toolbar!
Otherwise you can enter your website URL on Extension Factory Site Button Builder and click on “Create your extension” button. If the extension was successfully generated, click on “Test the extension” button. Depending on the browser you use, you will have to validate the extension installation in the bottom (Chrome) or top (Firefox) bar. You’re ready to go !
- I love this extension, how can I make it available to my website users ?
Since you are running a WordPress blog, you can simply install this plugin and do no more.
Otherwise, go to the Extension Factory Site Button Builder, generate an extension and
copy the HTML embed code provided in the results page, and paste it on your website, where you want the installation button to appear. We provide different button styles and a bottom bar, just click on “Customize your install button” to change it.
- What is required to make the Extension Factory work with my website ?
The only requirement to generate your extension is to have RSS feeds declared in the URL you provided.
- I’d love to use this service but my website doesn’t have feeds, how do I do ?
We’re working on it, more extension templates coming up soon ! 😉
- How much does it cost ?
The Extension Factory is a free service. We will add some Premium features later on.
- Which browsers do you support ?
Our extensions work on Internet Explorer 8+, Google Chrome 5+, Safari 5+ and Mozilla Firefox 3+. It has been tested on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X and various Linux distributions.
- What benefits does this extension provide ?
There are many reasons why you should create a cross-browser extension for your website :
- It will engage your audience and improve users’s loyalty, by offering them real-time content notifications
- It creates a unique communication tool that differenciates you
- It will grow your traffic by creating new content channels.
- How can I add other features to my extensions and do more customization ?
We will provide very soon personalization services to better suit to your needs. We’re also preparing a free customization section that will allow you to change various extension parameters (title, icons, feeds, etc…).
Contributors & Developers
“Site Button by Extension Factory” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
Moved toolbar code to end of body not to disrupt page loading!
Fix blog names containing a space
Trying to force WP to see new Stable tag
- fixed a fatal error for unmanaged error situation
- Several improvement including getting your blog name in the toolbar message,
- Initial Version