Ever needed to have a page with some content for a client and only wanted that client to have access to the page? Well now you can! This simple plugin from the guys at Sideways8 Interactive allows admins to create private pages (a custom post type) for a specific user that only that user and admins can access. Other users are simply redirected to the home page or to their private page if one exists.
You also have the ability to change the URL slug, so instead of “http://example.com/private/PAGE-NAME” you can make it “http://example.com/client-access/PAGE-NAME”, for example.
- A quick and easy way to create a private page for a user
- Allows the use of most custom templates that are available for use with regular pages
- Allows themers and developers to easily customize what private pages look like with custom templates (See the FAQ for details)
We have tutorial videos available on our site and are constantly working on adding more and keeping them up to date as needed. Click here to visit our tutorials page.
- Download and extract the plugin from the zip file.
- Upload the entire “s8-private-pages” folder to your wp-content/plugins directory.
- Activate the plugin.
- How can I create my own templates?
As of version 0.8.2 you are able to use ANY templates in your theme that contain the “Template Name” PHP comment (details here). You can also create a template file (that doesn’t have the “Template Name” comment) that is automatically applied as a default to ALL private pages. A file in the root of your theme named “s8-private-page.php” will automatically be applied to all private pages. You can also create a file named “s8-private-subpage.php” and it will act as a default for all CHILD private pages.
I was using this plugin without issue for a while, but out of the blue, it stopped working. I was no longer able to create private pages for users that didn’t already have one. The option to do so, disappeared. It was just gone.
I reached out to the developer of this plugin to ask for assistance, but he was less than helpful. He pretty much told me he doesn’t know why that’s happening, and then stopped responding. I was left high and dry.
Fortunately, I’ve hired a developer to make some changes to my site. Those changes will be live in a couple of days. At that point, this plugin will be completely obsolete.
Contributors & Developers
“Sideways8 Private Pages” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed a conflict with our “Sideways8 Custom Login & Registration Plugin”
- Updated private page template system, it will now look for s8-private-page.php, page.php, & index.php in the theme (in that order), using the first one it finds
- You can set a default template for private subpages by adding a file named s8-private-subpage.php to the theme
- You can now use a custom template with ANY private page (custom template that shows in the Pages “Template” dropdown, must use the “Template Name” PHP comment)
- Several other minor improvements and bug fixes
- Fixed a bug where editing an existing private page can act like it removed the owner
- Added the option to have users below a certain level be redirected to their private page upon login
- Initial release