Room 34 presents On This Day is a simple widget that displays a list of blog posts that were published on the same date in previous years. Customization options include:
- Message to display if no posts are found
- Maximum posts to display
- Show featured images (if available)
- Category filtering
- Optional On This Day archive page (new in version 2.0)
Important: While not technically required, the new On This Day archive page assumes your theme includes an archive.php file that uses the the_archive_title() function to display the page title.
- Upload the plugin files to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Place the widget in one of your sidebars and customize as desired.
Note: This plugin requires PHP 5.3 or greater due to the use of anonymous functions.
- Why isn’t the archive page displaying the correct (or any) title?
If there’s an incorrect title, or no title, at the top of your page (before the title of the first post), check your theme. It should have an archive.php file, and that file must use the the_archive_title() function to display the page title.
This is just a nice little plugin to show posts on the current day in previous years. I’ve been using it for a while now, and it works great.
Contributors & Developers
“Room 34 presents On This Day” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed handling of a global array variable to resolve fatal errors with WP-CLI.
- Simplified date_query.
- Added On This Day Archive page.
- Refactored to use date_query instead of retrieving and then omitting posts from the current year.
- Made featured images clickable links to posts.
- Tested in WP 4.7.1.
- Updated “Tested up to” to 4.7.
- Fix for implode() warning when no categories were selected.
- Updated plugin repository description text.
- Added ability to filter list by category.
- Added ability to set maximum number of posts to display.
- Added option to display featured image with each post.
- General refactoring and code clean-up.
- Updated main function to use parent::__construct() for compatibility with WordPress 4.3.
- Updated link structure to use standard permalinks instead of custom-built URL format.
- Updated “Tested up to” tag.
- Added CSS class to ul tag and changed tag and class attribute for each li item.
- Original version.