If you would like to have a little more nice permalinks to your custom post types articles with custom permalinks – this plugin can help you with this.
If the term has the same slug as the post type, then the taxonomy has the priority over the post type.
Now I will show some examples:
(Custom taxonomy with child taxonomies)
(Term slug is the same as the post type slug:)
(Post Type:) site.com/cars/
(Term from Taxonomy:) site.com/taxonomy/cars/
(Subterm from Taxonomy:) site.com/taxonomy/cars/bmw
(Post Type:) site.com/cars/ (will not show)
(Term from Taxonomy:) site.com/cars (will show)
(Subterm from Taxonomy:) site.com/cars/bmw (will show)
- Upload “remove-taxonomy-base-slug” folder to the “/wp-content/plugins/” directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Select which taxonomies base slug to remove, go to Plugins -> Remove Taxonomy Base Slug
- Update your permalinks, go to Settings -> Permalinks -> Save Changes
- That’s it!
- Why should I use this plugin?
Use this plugin if you want to get rid of a custom taxonomy base slug completely.
The normal behaviour of WordPress is to add ‘/taxonomy’ to your permalinks if you leave “taxonomy page” blank (ex: site.com/taxonomy/).
So your taxonomy links look like “site.com/taxonomy/my-taxonomy/”.
With this plugin your taxonomy links will look like “site.com/my-taxonomy/” (or “site.com/my-taxonomy/sub-taxonomy/” in case of child taxonomies).
- Will it break any other plugins?
I don’t think so.
- Won’t this conflict with pages or post types?
Simply don’t have a page or a post type and category with the same slug.
Even if they do have the same slug it won’t break anything.
Priority will be for taxonomies.
- Can you add a feature X?
Depends, if its useful enough and I have time for it.
I was trying to find from a long time and this plugin just fixed my issue’s in no time. Thank you for making such a great plugin.
I needed to make categories and a custom taxonomy called “Industry” have no slug. But some other taxonomies needed to keep them. I wasn’t sure if this would affect all taxonomies, but it has an option page to select them.
Simple enough, seems to work just fine!
Great plug in !!!
It’s return 404 error
Contributors & Developers
“Remove Taxonomy Base Slug” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed a little bug.
- Added Multisite support.
- Fixed: A bug in PHP 5.4 + some other bugs
- Added: Admin Panel with the list of all taxonomies.
- Fixed: Auto update permalinks after adding new terms.
- Fixed a bug with hierarchical terms.
- Some small bug fixes.
- First release.