Use Ranker’s free widget to create a fully-customizable “ranking poll” – a list about any topic that your visitors impact by voting items up and down, reranking the list, or adding items. Use it as a “POLL: _____” blog post, to add instant community engagement to an existing “list” blog post as a “reader’s version”, or stick Ranker lists on your sidebar to increase time on site.
The plugin comes with a built in shortcode generator, you only need the URL of the list on Ranker, we’ll do the rest. Setup defaults for your site including colors, fonts, size and layout.
How it works
- Find a ranking you want your visitors to vote on from the Ranker.com site, or create a new one there.
- Copy the URL
- Enter that URL into Tools->Ranker Shortcodes
- Put that shortcode into any post.
Multiple shortcodes can be used per post.
Configure your site-wide display options via Settings->Ranker Widget
For more information please see : Ranker Widget FAQ
- Upload the ‘rnkr-wp’ folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory (or install via the Plugins Add New menu).
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Set required options though admin menu (Settings->Ranker Widget).
- Place generated shortcodes (Tools->Ranker Shortcodes) in your posts.
- How do I create a short code for my posts?
That’s easy! Once the plugin is installed and activated head to the shortcode creation tool at Tools->Ranker Shortcodes. Now find the list you want to embed on Ranker.com, copy it’s full URL (I.E. http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/my-favorite-cartoons-of-all-time) and paste that into the input on the short codes page. We do some magic and then the usable short code for that list will be displayed below.
- Will my old V1/V2 shortcodes work with the V3 plugin?
Yes they will! Version 3 is fully backwards compatible, all older short codes will continue to work with the new widget.
- I’ve found styling errors with the widget, what should I do?
Some themes are built to override global style definitions, sometimes these styles can cause layout issues with our widget. While we’ve done our best to avoid themes adjusting the widget display, on occasion one can slip through. If you find any styling errors with the widget in your theme, please leave a support ticket and we’ll get them fixed as soon as possible.
- Are there any tips to building a Ranker List or Widget?
For an in-depth FAQ on widget building please see the Ranker Widget FAQ
- Wait a minute, what is Ranker, I’ve never heard of this service?
Ranker has millions of items in its database – everything from universities to comic book heroes to candy brands to your favorite band’s discography. To make a list, all you have to do is tell us the topic and pick the items you want to include. Ranker takes care of the rest. Once you’ve built your own lists, we give you the tools to share them with your friends, or to open them up for voting and let the community decide the rankings!
Contributors & Developers
“Polling Widget: Ranker Lists” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Updates the plugin to support our new ‘blog’ style widgets when creating shortcodes.
- If you have any older plugins running as slideshow you now want in blog format please create a new shortcode.
- Fixes issue with font face selection options.
- Version 3 of the Ranker widget has been released, containing major improvements.
- Large parts of admin and post code have been rewritten for increased render speed and efficiency.
- Updated widget embeds to use OEmbed protocol (removes the need to load widget scripts on each page).
- Moved Shortcode creation from Settings to Tool menus.
- Simplifed Shortcode output and usage requirements (fully backwards compatible with version 1 and 2 shortcodes).
- Updated Settings and Tools visual style to match WordPress defaults and respect your theme choices.
- Added new options for Footer display and customization.
- Updated FAQ to reflect new version and admin changes.
- Updated screenshots to reflect current widget design and admin options.
- Bug fix for an internal CDN issue where certain widgets were rendering blank.
- Responding to plugin user feedback, we’ve reworked some code and now widgets can have all of their header items (including list name) turned off.
- Included in this update are some major widget styling changes: The widget now has a more generic look by default to allow for easier site integration.
- CSS interference between your existing themes and the widget should be greatly reduced.
- We’ve also run a pass on de-cluttering the header and footer: Sharing icons have been moved to the footer and display in a more neutral color. Footer button functionality has been changed to text links.
- Added an option to the Ranker settings panel to allow turning item descriptions off for slideshow widgets.
- Removed reactive widget messaging.
- The Slideshow/Mobile widget update! See below for a full list of features and changes;
- NEW! Slideshow widgets are now enabled in the plugin. Any list you embed that is defaulted to slideshow view will show in this new format. Older widget shortcodes will need to be updated to enable the new view (we chose this option to best serve your original embed intent).
- The widget code is now fully reactive and will adjust to your themes width, this allows for proper widget display on mobile platforms. This change will be rolled out to all lists, including your older embeds. To fix a widget at a specific size you should place the shortcode in a container (div, p etc).
- Related to the above: Widget width options have been removed from the settings panel. A note regarding the change is in its place and will be removed at a later date.
- Default properties have been updated to support Slideshow widgets.
- Thumbnail Gallery option added.
- Slide Background color option added.
- Adjusted settings section headers for clarity.
The version 2 polling widget has been completely rewritten from the ground up using HTML5. With this new release we are moving the plugin to a new home under a more searchable name. The old plugin will continue to be updated for sometime but it is recommended you update to this new location. Old plugin short codes will continue to work with this new plugin.