This plugin randomly selects a winner or winners from the comments of a giveaway post. You can also disqualify people who’ve entered more than once (determined by email), or reduce their entries to only one. The plugin uses MySQL’s random function RAND() to randomly select the winners directly from the database.
- How do I use this plugin?
After you install and activate the plugin, click on Tools -> Pick Giveaway Winner. Select the giveaway post from the drop-down menu. Select how many winners you want. Choose how to handle duplicate entries (determined by email). Press the “Pick Winner!” button to randomly draw your winners.
- How are the winners randomly selected?
The plugin uses MySQL’s RAND() function to pick the winners directly from the database.
- Why does it take so long to choose a winner?
The more comments your post has, the longer it will take to parse the data and determine a winner. Also, if you choose to “Discard multiple entries, but allow the entrant a single entry” the plugin has to do an additional database query to get your results, which takes more time. Be patient and your results will be returned as soon as possible.
- This isn’t random! I ran the plugin twice in a row and got the same winner.
It may seem counterintuitive, but if you re-run the plugin on the same post and occasionally get the same winner, this proves that the plugin actually is random. For example, if you roll a dice several times you will eventually get the same number twice in a row. The same thing happens with the plugin. However, if you run the plugin several times in a row and keep getting the same winner, that could indicate a problem.
- Does this plugin let me insert a giveaway into a post/page or ask my visitors a question?
No, it does not.
- This is awesome! Can I send you money?
Sure! Go to my plugin page at http://www.makeworthymedia.com/plugins/ to donate.
- Would you like to thank anyone?
Yes, I would! Thanks to Roni Noone at http://www.roninoone.com/ for beta testing this plugin.
Full disclosure: I am the plugin author. Someone just left a 1-star review because they misunderstood what the plugin is supposed to do. I thought I'd help balance out the average by leaving my own review.
Just to be clear, this plugin randomly selects a comment from a post. It only works if you're logged into WordPress and go to Tools -> Pick Giveaway Winner. It does not insert anything into a post/page. It does not let you ask your visitors a question. I'm leaving a 5-star review because the plugin does what it says it does.
No details on how to insert it into a post/page and no way to change/customise the question you want to ask.
- Updated the Tested Up To information to 4.5.2
- Updated FAQ to give more specific directions on how to use the plugin and information on what the plugin doesn’t do.
- Updated the links to the developer’s web site in the plugin and readme.txt files
- Removed wpdb::prepare() errors you might see when running the plugin in WordPress 3.5 and up.
- Added label tags to radio button options so you can select an option by clicking on the text next to it and not just directly on the radio button.
- Updated the FAQ to answer a frequent question about the randomness of the plugin.
- Original version of the plugin.