MTN MoMo is mobile payment system which is available in Uganda, Ghana, Cameroon, Zambia, Swaziland, Rwanda, Ivory Coast, Benin, Guinea-Conakry and Congo Brazza
💥 NEW!💥 also available in South Africa 🇿🇦 and Liberia 🇱🇷
This plugin allows you to collect payments on your WooCommerce eShop using MTN MoMo in 12 countries 🇬🇭🇨🇲🇺🇬🇿🇲🇸🇿🇷🇼🇨🇮🇧🇯🇬🇳🇨🇬🇿🇦🇱🇷
You must have WooCommerce because we developed this plugin as a WooCommerce payment gateway 🚀
This is a fully functioning plugin not a demo version. It works in both Sandbox (development mode) and in Live (production mode).
Please keep in mind that MoMo Sandbox has several
limitations imposed by MTN, see them here:
- Sandbox is not requesting real money, means no USSD request on your phone. no matter how hard you try 😂
- In the Sandbox you can only use EUR currency and certain test numbers from Sweden 🇸🇪 🥶
- Sandbox is not able to callback your application, to notify about payment status. This one is a sad limitation. 😞
- Test phones numbers to test for error conditions are limited to
- Only this number will be able to “pay” after 30 seconds
- All other numbers will act like the payment was successful immediately!
How to use
- Install and activate WooCommerce plugin before activating this plugin
- Select EUR as your WooCommerce currency if you want to test in Sandbox
- Select your target currency if you have done KYC process with MTN (see below for more)
- Install and activate this plugin
- Enter your Merchant name, MTN phone number and Email to receive notifications
- Continue to the next step, see below
Plugin setup for MTN MoMo Sandbox – no real payments 🤮
- Visit MoMo API Developer portal and sign-up 📧
- Enable Collection API (NOT the Collection Widget API please)
- Get Sandbox Collection Primary key and enter it in the Plugin settings
- Test payments in Sandbox you can only use EUR currency
IMPORTANT for Rwanda use
https://momodeveloper.mtn.co.rw to sign-up and get the keys!
Plugin setup for MTN MoMo Live – with real payments 💰😎
- Visit MoMo API Developer portal and submit your KYC documents 📝📝📝
- ⌛ Wait for the MTN to process your application and send you access to the Partner Portal and API management dashboard ⌛
- Login to the momoapi.mtn.com and get your Live Collection Primary key 🔑
- Login to the MTN Partner Portal and generate API user and API key 🔑
- Enter Collection Primary key, API user and API key in the Plugin settings
- Accept payments! 💰💰💰
IMPORTANT for Rwanda use
https://momodeveloper.mtn.co.rw/go-live to go Live! Get Collection Primary key here
- EUR (Sandbox only, no real payments)
- GHS Ghana
- UGX Uganda
- XAF Cameroon / Central African CFA franc
- RWF Rwanda
- XOF Benin / West African CFA franc
- XOF Ivory Coast / West African CFA franc
- XAF Congo Brazza / Central African CFA franc
- SZL Eswatini/Swaziland
- GNF Guinea-Conakry
- ZMW Zambia
- ZAR South Africa
- LRD Liberia / Liberian dollar & USD
** IMPORTANT Do not forget to select your country and the currency in WooCommerce settings **
DEMO eShop – in Sandbox mode
No real payments can be done, eShop currency EUR demo.momo.clickon.ch
How to get Support
You have several ways to request support for this plugin:
- You can send us an Email to email@example.com 🙋📧
- Submit your question to the plugin discussion board on wordpress.com 🙋🗣️
- Visit MTN MoMo Skype forums (ask for
We will be more than happy to help you! 👍
ClickOn GmbH, the company behind this plugin and MTN MoMo Gateway, are not affiliated with MTN or WooCommerce. Please keep this in mind. 😎
This is a free plugin with Free gateway package, upgrade to Pro for more features, drop us an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
/wp-content/plugins/directory, or install from the WordPress Plugins Directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure plugin under WooCommerce->Payments, look for MTN MoMo
Do you have a demo website?
Yes, it is here demo.momo.clickon.ch, no real payments can be done, eShop currency EUR
Do you have a Live demo?
No yet. We are working on it. However, you can check https://kivea.net for inspiration 😎
Which phone number the MoMo request is sent?
We are sending the MoMo Pay request to the phone number provided on the checkout form. The format is 256XXXXXXXXX, where 256 is country code.
How can we do real payments?
To accept real aka Live payments you must be approved by MTN, the process is called “Go Live” you can read about it here https://momodeveloper.mtn.com/go-live
Remember it will require you do submit the KYC documents, your passport copy etc. it is quite some paper work, so please seek legal advice!
What is the phone number format to use during the checkout?
We are sending MoMo requests to the phone number provided during the checkout, so it must follow a certain format, for example:
- 237698936XXX – Cameroon
- 233204701XXX – Ghana
- 256700908XXX – Uganda
- 268782XXXXX – Eswatini
- 24206422XXXX – Congo B
No “+” in front and always with the country code!
For Rwanda can i use momodeveloper.mtn.com to get Sandbox primary key?
In case you are in Rwanda you should use a dedicated portal at https://momodeveloper.mtn.co.rw, however if you
set your WooCommerce store location to anything but Rwanda you can use Sandbox Primary key from https://momodeveloper.mtn.com
Contributors & Developers
“Pay with MTN MoMo in WooCommerce” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- WordPress 6.0 support added
- Fixes order with floating point amounts like 0.2 USD etc.
- Fixes for Liberia to support both USD and LRD currencies
- Removed request count
- Better handling of WordPress multisite instalations
- Fixed setup issues for AWS Lightsail
- Fixed XAF currency support in Cameroon and Congo Brazza
- Documentation updated
- Fixed REST callback,
- Deprecation warnings removed
- Tested with WordPress 5.7
- Fixed PHP notices
- Support for Rwanda portal momodeveloper.mtn.co.rw
- Our first version with MTN MoMo Live and Sandbox, Collection API is fully supported