Page-Cat-List is a WordPress Plugin (surprise) that you can use for generating a sorted list (where you can/must
define the order) with items from pages and categories. That’s the whole story. Unfortunately WordPress does not
implement this in its core-functionality so I had to build that on my own.
As of writing this Page-Cat-List supports:
- mix category- and page-items and display them in one list
- sort these items (first level only)
- define a title
- define a maximum depth
- define a html-id for the first ul-element
- most of the stuff you can do with get_pages and get_categories arguments:
- exclude items
- include items
- etc. pp.
- download Page-Cat-List here
- extract the zip file and copy the folder to you wp-content/plugins/ folder via ftp/ftps/sftp/whatever-you’re-using-to-transfer-files-to-your-webspace
- goto Plugins in your admin-menu and activate Page-Cat-List
- goto Design–>Widgets and Drag’n’Drop the Page-Cat-List to one of your sidebars. Note: If you have no sidebars listed then, Google is your friend
- enter any options (title, depth, get_pages or get_categories arguments, ul-id) and save your changes
- done ;o)
- How to define an order?
Just type in the page and category-ids in a comma separated list in the “Order” widget option.
The items will be displayed in the exact order you typed in from top to bottom. Remember to add
a trailing “p” to every single page id. If your page id is 42 you’ll have to write down 42p.
If you’re not sure about page and category ids search for a plugin or hover the links in the
listing views and look into the statusbar of your browser. The id should be part of the url.
- What am I supposed to write down in “Page Args” or “Category Args”?
- Do you have some kind of example configuration?
Well…click on the screenshots section. The important stuff is handled there.
Contributors & Developers
“Page-Cat-List” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- fixed bug that caused an infinite loop if a page had one or more subpage(s)
- added readme.txt file
- added support for max. display depth
- changed standard wordpress title handling: empty title means empty! no widget li wrapper is printed and no h2 either. use blank space for standard wp behaviour
- added id to first ul generated by widget
- initial release