la petite url is a personal, customizable, URL shortener. Using your own WordPress (2.5+) installation, la petite url allows the user to create shortened, unique, permalinks to their content using a combination of lowercase, uppercase, and numeric characters, which originate from their own domain name. By default la petite url generates a 5-character combination of lowercase letters only, for ease of use in entering on a mobile device or handset. With version 1.5 la petite url allows the user to add a custom, shorter domain for these shortened links.
la petite url provides easy functions for accessing it’s generated URLs outside of la petite url, in your themes, or other plugins. The
the_full_petite_url will output just the full URL, without any formatting, which can be used in various Twitter or other microblogging plugins.
the_petite_url_link will output an HTML link using the configuration from la petite url’s options page.
Installing la petite url is a breeze.
- Upload the
le-petite-urlfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Add the la petite url sidebar widget to a sidebar, or add
<?php the_petite_url_link(); ?>in your template where you’d like the shortened URL link to show up.
- If you’d like to use a separate domain for your shortened links, see this article.
Contributors & Developers
“la petite url” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Removed hit tracking for now.
- Fix timeouts for short url redirects.
- Page title fix for click tracking
- Added support for Twitter Tools by Crowd Favorite, which will now automatically use la petite urls for Tweets.
- Added support for lapetite.me hit tracking.
- fixed a critical logging bug which could cause massive memory use and PHP shutdown due to memory exhaustion. (thanks to John August and Ryan Nelson)
- Added la petite url tag for personal stat tracking. No other changes.
- Added hit tracking code for future use
- Added link to support / bug report on Get Satisfaction
- Modified “buy la petite url” heading item
- Totally rewritten and reorganized options page
- Removed “registration”
- Changed hook for redirection from ‘template_redirect’ to ‘init’, which is an order of magnitude faster.
- Due to above change, won’t interfere with JS-based hit trackers by showing two hits for the same page.
- Terse changelog notes
- Fixed a bug that resulted in tons of PHP notice logs, due to a badly-formatted database call. Thanks to Doug Smith‘s report.
- la petite url now generates URLs (on page load) for posts that do not have them.
- Fixed places where ‘le petite url’ was still referenced