Plugin helps you to hide real/direct path of files hosted on your server for download and make your files secure from unauthorized download. It also maintains a log of all downloads done using it and provide capability to disallow direct linking (hot linking) to your files from other website.
- Allow or restrict hotlink (direct download) of your files from other website/external links.
- Restrict ‘download only’ from link on your website
- View log of individual download
It support multiple files extensions including:
zip / pdf / doc / xls / ppt / exe / gif / png / jpg / jpeg / mp3 / wav / mpeg / mpg / mpe / mov / avi / xlsx
*Step by step configuration guideline in Settings sections of plugin after activation
Version 1.5 changes:
– Corrupt file bug fixed
– Easy step by step guide added in admin to configure plugin
– Generate Root path dynamically
– Support for xlsx added
- Unzip plugin in
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings -> ‘Hide Download Link’
- Enter Root path of your download directory where all files are hosted. (it should be something as /home/public_html/yourdirectoryname depending on your host)
- Enter referred (if you want to restrict direct download using link from other wesbites)
- Save and you are done !!
Now create a page and enter shortcode [download_page]. You are files are now secure!
Download link of your all files will be http://YourSiteName.com/YourPageName/?f=YourFileName.extension
If you created page with name ‘Download’ and added shortcode in it, Path for your download file (assuming its name is test.zip) will be:
- How can I view download log?
A file ‘downloads.log’ is created on root of your server, open it in text editor and you can view details Time/Date/IP address and Downloaded file name in it.
- what should I enter in ‘Allowed Referred’?
‘Allowed Referred’ is not mandatory but if you want to allow download of your files from specific websites only then enter name of site in allowed referral textbox.
For example if you want to allow download of files from your website only, enter your site name (without http://www.) in allowed referral. Now users will be only able to download file by clicking link on your website.
- Where do I report bugs?
In the WordPress forum (https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/hide-real-download-path) or contact using form here
not clear instructions. I had to search for the short code then it didn’t work.
It works smoothly and integrated within any external player or audio tag.
The real path of mp3 file is coded, although external or browser audio players works fine.
Nice work Deepak!
This plugin works beautifully. I’d like to thank Deepak for making this plugin.
There are however a few directions that you should follow. Don’t forget to create a page titled “download” & put this shortcode there ‘[download_page]’
Most of the bad reviews I read are by people who have no idea what they’re doing. A little bit of WP knowledge & access from server side (since you need to create a folder in wp-content as well) this plugin works like a charm.
Thanks again to the developer.
…but remember to set your “real download path” every (!) time, the plugin is updated or re-activeted. So it´s also working under WP 4.6.1
Contributors & Developers
“Hide Real Download Path” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors