This simple plugin is an extended version of the famous hello dolly plugin by Matt Mullenweg (inventor of wordpress). Every human being has a special relationship to a particular song. And because of that, Hello Dolly For Your Song brings the lyric of your favourite song in the blog. But of course it can be used for any text. 😉
- Display a random line of a custom text in your blog as widget
- Display a random line of a custom text in your blog as shortcode
- Display a random line of a custom text in your theme as template tag
- Display a random line of a custom text in the blog administration
- Options Page to define a custom song text
- Hidden Options
- Languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Indonesian
- Official Plugin Page (German)
- Why I have created this plugin? (German)
- ScreenCast showing almost all features (German)
- Source Code @ GitHub
- Maintain the songtext you love in the Settings.
- That is all!
Get just the string for processing
- Upload plugin folder to /wp-content/plugins/ or download plugin via directory
- Activate the plugin through the plugins menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings > Hello Dolly Your Song to configure your songtext
See Other Notes for more details on configuration.
- I have not maintained a songtext, nevertheless some lyrics is displayed in the admin head.
This is Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong. If no text is maintained in the options, the programm uses the songtext of Hello Dolly.
- How can I use the shortcode?
Type [hdfys] in a blank line in the WordPress editor.
- How can I bring the widget in the blog with a custom widget title?
You can define the title in the settings of the widget.
- How can I integrate the random lyric in the theme?
Use the template tag hello_dolly_for_your_song() in your theme file. The random line will directly printed embedded within a container.
- I do only want to use the capabilities in the frontend and fade out the text in the admin panel. Is this possible?
You can use the hidden option for that! Please set the option “hdfys_admin_lyric” to 0 in the table wp_options within your WordPress database. Because of that the lyric in the admin panel will be faded out. Going back to standard settings, just set the value to 1.
- Can I assign custom css?
Yes, you can. Each output of this plugin has individual css classes. Please use your debugging tools, to find the classes.
- How can I deinstall Hello Dolly For Your Song?
You can use the regular way on the plugin page. After deinstallation your wordpress is really clean.
- I have maintained a continuous text and this breaks the admin layout partly?
Helly Dolly For Your Song works for texts in poem style. This means you need a text with word wraps after each line or sentence. If you want to use a continuous text in the plugin, you should add word wraps after each sentence.
- Does the plugin provide an API?
You can access the random line with the function get_hello_dolly_for_your_song() in other plugin code or via functions.php. The function returns just one single random line without markup for further processing.
Contributors & Developers
“Hello Dolly For Your Song” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- 04 april 2017
- Template Tag does not require Echo command anymore
- New Function available to get the raw random line for processing
- New Language: Indonesian
- 18 march 2017
- Options Link @ Plugin Page
- 26 december 2016
- French Language
- Hidden Options
- Security Improvements
- Internal Optimization
- 1 september 2016
- Template Tag
- New Labels
- Code Improvement
- 27 august 2016
- Settings API
- Update Process
- 09 august 2014
- Spanish Language
- 06 september 2013
- Custom Widget Title
- 26 june 2013
- German language
- Clean deinstallation
- Bugfix: Processing of apostrophes
- 5 may 2013
- Structured and readable code
- First published version
- 4 may 2013
- Running version without errors
- 3 may 2013
- Running version