The hCard & vCard Generator plugin was created to solve one specific problem, generating microformats compatible hCards from WordPress users and companion vCards for downloading purposes.
The plugin also beefs up the user profile section with new fields for organisation, job title, phone, fax and mobile numbers as well as address.
- Upload the plugin to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
<?php echo generate_card($userID, $cardType); ?>in your templates where $userID is the user’s ID and $cardType is either “hCard” or “vCard”, or use the provided hCard vCard widget in the sidebar, or thirdly you can use shortcode to insert into posts/pages. See below:
For example to generate the hCard for admin use:
To generate the vCard for admin use:
Alternatively, as of version 1.2 you can display the widget via shortcode:
[hcardvcard title=”Testing Title” user=”1″ display_vcard=true display_hcard=true]
All attributes for the shortcode are optional, the current author gets used if no user value is given.
There is also a Widget included for easy use in the sidebar.
You can use the login name for the user value with the shortcode or widget rather than the ID, but calling the generate function directly requires the User ID.
Contributors & Developers
“hCard & vCard Generator” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Adding specific fn field which is required for validation when widget title is off
- Adding fn parameter to photo (thanks Fred)
- Removed inline styles on some divs, these should be hidden in the theme’s CSS, not the plugin
- Fix photo parameter, now encodes the photo into the VCF in Base64.
- Various VCARD format fixes to be more compatible across different mail clients
- Added Fax option to user page
- Doing some code cleanup
- Fixing HTML formatting bugs (thanks R. Richard Hobbs)
- Changed URL of photo to use WPURL instead of URL for installations that have
moved their WordPress install to a subdirectory. Also added PHOTO and NOTES support.
- Adding .htaccess to force mime type of .vcf
- Implement addresses
- Bug fixes
- Improve title generation to allow non-auto generated or blank headings (thanks Kevin)
- Fixing bug with vCard generation (thanks Thomas)
- Overhauled widget
- Added shortcode display
- Fixed bug in generation due to incorrect folder check
- Updating calls to WP 3.1 standard. Fixing bugs with the widget.
- Initial version