Check out the plug-in homepage for in-depth information about the plug-in.
This file is part of the Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents WordPress plugin.
Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
- Upload the whole plugin folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
- Go to the Plugins page and activate the plugin.
- Activate the plug-in as usual.
- Copy the CSS template fragment from the plug-in homepage to your CSS file (either your themes style.css file, or, which I would recommend, through the MyCSS plug-in, and adjust it to your liking.
- How do I use the plug-in?
Easy: Add the shortcode
[toc]to your post or page, where you want the TOC box to appear. To align the TOC box to the left or right, use
- How do I change the width of a TOC box?
The TOC box is displayed with default widths which depend on it’s alignment.
[toc]will consume the full post width, while
[toc class="toc-right"]will adjust to the length of your headings, up to a maximum width specified with the CSS. (Look for
You may change the maximum width individually, using the style argument. Say, to have a right-aligned TOC box with a maximum width of 200 pixels, you would write
[toc class="toc-right" style="max-width:200px"].
- I inserted the [toc] thingy, but nothing happens. What’s going on?
The TOC shortcode is ignored if there are no headings on the page. To format a heading, go to the “Kitchen Sink” toolbar of the visual editor, and use the formatting drop-down box.
- Can I use it on multipage posts?
Yes, since version 1.2.
- I love your work, are you available for hire?
Contributors & Developers
“Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Workaround for potential issues on some server/PHP/WP configurations (extremely rare)
- Fixing a XHTML glitch
- Fixing a packaging glitch
- TOC box dynamic effects are now optional (and jQuery is not loaded when turned off).
- TOC entries on the active post page get the extra CSS class ‘active’. Useful for TOC’s on mutlipage posts.
- Verified compatibility with WP 2.8.5
- Added small signature to toc box
- Several minor fixes and improvements
- TOC boxes now optionally include a link to the comments section on the page. (Idea and initial code contributed by JohnBillion)
- Overhauled settings handling for WPMU compatibility. Old-style settings are automatically migrated.
- Settings can be reset to “factory values”, removing them from the database. Useful when uninstalling the plugin.
- Increased security.
- Overhauled back-end UI.
- Various code improvements.
- License change from GPL 2.0 to GNU Affero GPL (AGPL) 3.0.
- Fixes formatting issues with headers containing tags.
- Fixes a TOC box entry ordering issue due to ambiguities in the PHP regular expression handling.
- Fixes a bug with auto-insertion, reported by DavyB
- Fixes a bug with TOC’s on multi-page entries when the blog does not reside at top-level URL’s. Reported by Aleisha.
- Added the option to auto-insert TOC at a default position, if not explicitly added by shortcode.
- A new shortcode form, [toc auto=off], was added to provide for suppressing the automatic shortcode insertion for individual posts and pages when auto-insertion is enabled globally. Other shortcode parameters are ignored in this form.
- A new shortcode paramter, title, is available to specify the title of the TOC box.
- Default shortcode parameter values, can now be configured view plugin settings. They are used implicitly when a shortcode parameter is omitted.
- New (pretty) naming scheme for heading anchors. Heading anchor names are derived from a sanitized form of the corresponding heading now, resulting into better readability and better SEO. Thanks to an idea of johnbillion.
- Several bug fixes and improvements.
Please check if your CSS styling needs an update, [according to the updated CSS template on the plug-in homepage](http://hackadelic.com/solutions/wordpress/seo-table-of-contents#installation”Hackadelic SEO Table Of Contents – Installation”).
Resolves a conflict with the plugin Nofollow Reciprocity which totally messes up multipage TOCs.
Adds support for multipage posts.
- Added the class
toc-anchorto the named anchors generated at the headings (i.e. the link targets for the TOC links) to support their individual styling via CSS.
- Minor bug-fixes
Added ability to handle headings containing hyperlinks.
Initial public release