This is a WordPress plugin to help with subscription to an event with a maximum of participants but a lot more people who are willing to participate. The plugin gives each subscriber a unique number, like a lottery. The numbers are generated within a range you can set in the admin settings for this plugin. For instance: You want to enable subscription to a spinning event with a maximum of 35 participants. There are more people who want to subscribe than that there are spinning bikes available and you don’t want to use the principle ‘who’s first with describing gets a bike’. Well here’s what leave-a-message does for you.
- set a range of numbers which largely overrides the amount of available places in the event (in my example i know the association has 100 members so i choose a range from 1 to 100, knowing not everyone is going to subscribe this is a safe range)
- let people subscribe using their name and email
- after registration, mail the subscriber, and the lam administrator, the random and unique number that has been given
If a person has subscribed the name, number and email is logged in the WordPress options table. If a subscribers email is found in the options table, it’s not possible to request another number. The subscriber get’s the number presented that’s already sent.
After you close the subscription, you can decide on how to make use of the numbers that are given.
Install the plugin in a folder named leave-a-message in your WordPress plugins directory
You can translate it to your prefered language (poedit) and save your translation in the languages folder of the plugin. Do not forget to put ‘ge-your-number’ in front of the language identifier (e.g. leave-a-message-nl_NL.po)
Playing a Bingo could be one 😉
A brief Markdown Example
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory in a directory called leave-a-message
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Place the shortcode [lam/] in a post or on a page or put
<?php do_shortcode('lam'); ?>in your templates
- In the settings tab within the admin panel you can define the numbers and a security tag foor entering the lam event
Contributors & Developers
“Get your number” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
- Checked the plugin with WordPress version 4.3.1
- Added admin tools
- Added logging in options table
- Added meta boxes in admin area
- Started a basic random number generator.
- Added mail function.