This plugin removes the Genesis child theme style sheet and reloads it at a later priority, allowing plugin style
sheets to load first.
By loading the child theme style sheet later, it allows for easier CSS customizations in child theme as the child theme style sheet trumps plugin styles without using the !important declaration.
Read more about why I created this plugin at
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the entire
genesis-style-trumpfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- That’s it! There is no settings panel for this plugin.
- Do this plugin require the Genesis Framework?
This plugin is designed for sites running on the Genesis Framework. While you could successfully activate the plugin on a non-Genesis site, it is useless as the code relies on Genesis-specific actions.
- How do I know if the plugin is working?
After activating the plugin, refresh your site and view the source code. You should see your child theme’s style sheet
loading after all plugin style sheets.
- Can I change any plugins styles from my child themes style sheet?
Yes! As long as the plugin style sheet doesn’t include !important, you’ll be able to use the same selector in your child theme to override the plugin.
If the plugin does use !important, you can either !important it right back (your !important will trump) or use a higher level of specificity.
- Does this plugin have any performance benefits?
Not really. It’s designed only to help you override plugin styles more efficiently by reducing the need to use !important in your child theme’s style sheet.
This plugin was our salvation! After inheriting a client from another developer, we were tasked with enabling Jigoshop transactions. (The site had previously been used as a display catalogue only.)
Of course the first thing we did was update the Genesis framework and the Jigoshop plugin, which completely blew the existing child theme customization out of the water!
After a week of parsing plugin CSS, testing a ton of !important edits and still finding no love, I came across your Genesis Style Trump plugin while searching for solutions to our impossible problem.
Problem solved! Thank you!
This is a brilliant plugin, it has saved me hours of delving into plugin stylesheets on all my sites. A must have for any site developed with the Genesis Framework
Contributors & Developers
“Genesis Style Trump” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Added support to Foodie Pro Theme
- Updated Author URI
- Updated required versions of WordPress and Genesis
- Removed a dingleberry character
- Fixed support for Parallax Pro Theme
- Added support for Altitude Pro Theme
- Added support for Cafe Pro Theme
- Added support for Parallax Pro Theme
- Initial release.