This plugin should only be used on Genesis sites (on non-Genesis sites, it won’t break anything, but it also won’t do anything at all other than setting up the post type).
If you take a look at the tutorial above, you’ll see the basics of what this plugin does. In addition to setting up the staff-member post type and staff-position taxonomy, this plugin automatically sets up a thickbox lightbox which lets you show content about each staff member in a popup when the featured image is clicked.
- Use the Genesis framework. If you aren’t using a Genesis child theme, this plugin will not work with your site.
- Unzip the plugin and upload the folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/” directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- That’s it! There aren’t currently any options to configure.
If you’re needing more information, here’s full documentation
- Where’s my staff page?
You can either use the [staff] shortcode (more info on that), or, if you’d like to use the defaults, the archive is located at http://yoursite.com/staff
- So how does this work?
This plugin creates a custom post type called staff-member and a taxonomy to go along with it called staff-position. It gives you built-in templates for both (these templates are part of the plugin), and a future version of the plugin will allow you to create your own replacement templates if you’d like them to do something other than the defaults.
- Does this plugin have a settings page or anything that needs to be set up before using it?
Not at the moment, though there are some shortcode attributes that can help you customize things.
* An options page to allow for customization of the archive and single templates – allowing the featured image to be removed from the single template, allowing for customization
This plugin works perfectly for our speakers page on our conference website. A few updates that would be nice to have would be customizing the archive name and slug similar to the Simple Staff List plugin. Editable templates for the single post would be nice too.
Other than that, great work on a simple, easy to use plugin!
Contributors & Developers
“Genesis Staff Bio Grid” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed a bug where two different lightbox sizes were being generated depending on the link clicked.
- Added beta support for nested shortcodes (within the lightboxes)
- Cleaned up styles for the edit this link
- Added phone number, facebook, twitter, and email links as post meta
- Added the CMB post meta framework
Version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2
- Fallback image provided for both implementations if no featured image is present
- Shortcode implementation
- Documentation added
- Added div with page class to the archive template to avoid issues on sites with dark backgrounds
- Repositioned single template to put image on the right
- Issues with image sizing fixed
- Default styles added to avoid a negative margin issue with images
- Initial commit