These installation instructions for FAQ Builder assume that you are already somewhat familiar with the operation of WordPress. If you are not familiar with WordPress then we suggest taking a look at http://demoblog.listpipe.com/. Pay particular attention to the following topics:
Write A Page, and
Manage Posts and Pages sections (The videos can take a minute to load, but they're worth it the wait if you are new to WordPress.).
Follow the steps below to install FAQ Builder:
- Backup your database.
- Download FAQ Builder from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/faq-builder/ and unzip it.
- Unzipping the downloaded file should produce a folder called
faq-builder (if not, try downloading the files again). Upload the that folder and its contents to your
wp-content/plugins directory inside of your WordPress install.
- Login to your WordPress admin section and click on the Plugins tab. At this point you should be seeing a list of your plugins. Find FAQ Builder in your list and activate it by clicking the Activate link.
- Now that your Plugin is active click on the "FAQ Builder" tab in the bottom left of your admin screen, then select "Categories". Edit the "General" category if you desire by clicking the "edit" link, then add new categories by clicking the "Add New Category" link. You need at least one category at all times for your users to be able to ask their questions.
- Next, if desired, click back on the "FAQ Builder" tab and add any of your own questions that you wish (see http://faqbuilder.squarecompass.com/documentation/user-manual/ for help/documentation)
- Next, place the following text in one of your pages or posts to display your FAQ page with the search form:
- Next, place the following text in one of your pages or posts to display your FAQ 'Ask' form :
- Manage submissions to by clicking on the "FAQ Builder" tab.
Note: we suggest that you always use the most up-to-date version of WordPress with FAQ Builder
The best way to upgrade is to use the 'Upgrade Now' button on your plugins page (if your hosting situation is set up to handle that), or by following these steps:
- Backup your database.
- Deactivate FAQ Builder.
- Delete the old version of FAQ Builder from your plugins directory (typically
wp-content/plugins) via ftp.
- Download the new version of the FAQ BUilder from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/faq-builder/ and unzip it (Unzipping the downloaded zip file should produce a folder named
faq-builder), and upload it to your plugins directory.
- Reactivate FAQ Builder.
- Refer to http://faqbuilder.squarecompass.com/documentation/ for more help