This plugin displays thumbnails for hyperlinks that exist on a WordPress page.
It’s configurable whether you’d like to preview all, only external or specially
This plugin uses the thumbshots of http://fadeout.de, a pretty cool site
which offers the thumbnail service for free.
For the tooltip effect a library called “jQuery Tooltip” is used (currently v1.3).
Find more about it here: http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-tooltip/
I got a lot of responses relating to new features and I’m already planning the implementations.
So thanks for your feedback and stay tuned for more news to arrive. 🙂
- Why does it take a couple of mouse hovers to get the link image to appear?
It’s not a bug – it’s a mechanism.
The plugin doesn’t generate the thumbnails directly. The script sends a request for the thumbnail to the service of http://fadeout.de. If the URL is requested for the first time, it’ll be put in a queue – and you see a “coming soon”. After a few moments the thumbnail is created at fadeout.de, so if you hover the link, the request for the thumbnail is successful and it’s served and shown correctly.
- You may additionally use the CSS class “nofadeout” to explicitly disable the preview tooltip for single hyperlinks when using the preview types “all” or “external”. (Thx to David A. for his suggest)
- Add an option to exclude URLs from being previewed. (Thx to Zale for suggesting this)
- Added an option to choose the fading direction of the images (right = big to small / left = small to big).
- Added an input field for page IDs to limit the plugin to only explicitely defined pages. This is a very basic version at the moment.
- Changed a variable name which caused trouble with the start page definition (Thx Frank)
- Added new config option for a localized dummy tooltip (de = “Thumbshot wird erstellt”; en = “coming soon”).
- Set thumbnail border to “none” because of some buggy css stylesheets.
- Added a filter, so that only http* links are previewed automatically when the setting “external” or “all” is set. (Thx Bernhard)
- Deleted a needless whitespace character that might have caused some problems with other plugins.
- Created some better background images (the tooltip border images). I hope you’ll like them.
- Changed opacity from 0.8 to 0.9 for a better image representation.
- Added option to adjust the tooltip opacity.
- Corrected a padding value (at scaling 180px × 212px).
- Added the possibility to choose from different tooltip sizes.
- Surrounded the wp_head() function with the plugins_loaded() method
to avoid some issues regarding the “headers already sent” error.
- Added a default configuration.
- corrected a dumb mistake (plugin path)
- This is the initial version.