Replace the add-to-cart button in Easy Digital Downloads with a direct link to the download file when the product is free and has only one file. This only works when the file is an external link to a web-accessible file.
For archive pages on the Shop Front theme, the cart icon is replaced with a download icon and direct download link.
Want to see it in action? Check out the WebAware shop — it’s running this plugin.
Many thanks to the generous efforts of our translators:
- Albanian (sq) — Besnik
- Chinese (zh_CN) — the Chinese (simplified) translation team
- English (en_CA) — the English (Canadian) translation team
- French (fr_FR) — the French translation team
- Hungarian (hu_HU) — Tom Vicces
- Norwegian: Bokmål (nb_NO) — neonnero
- Norwegian: Nynorsk (nn_NO) — neonnero
If you’d like to help out by translating this plugin, please sign up for an account and dig in.
Because I wanted to add my free plugins to an Easy Digital Downloads shop, without making it harder to download them from the shop than from WordPress.org plugin pages.
- Are downloads logged in Easy Digital Downloads?
No. Downloads are direct from the site hosting the linked file.
- Can I change the download link label?
Yes, see Downloads > Settings > Extensions. There’s also a filter hook,
edd_free_link_label, if you want finer control over the link label.
- Can I change the download link HTML?
Yes, there are templates. Look in the templates folder of the plugin. There’s also a filter hook,
edd_free_link_template, if you want finer control over which template is used.
This works great for my needs, I wanted to have a simple link, and this extension does it.
Other plugin I used stopped working suddenly, I assume it is stopped by EDD because is too old and probably breaks some rules. This plugin, however works very nicely. Great job, webaware!
The full changelog can be found on GitHub. Recent entries:
- fixed: accessibility of download icon on free Shopfront theme and derivatives