Drag & Drop Featured Image is a plugin made to save you time when setting a featured image. What it does is simple, it replaces the default “Set featured image” metabox with a new one containing a Plupload drop area just like the one found in the media uploader.
Since it uses the default WordPress functions it will compress all sizes just as the regular upload method would and it also respects any custom image sizes.
In WordPress versions lower than 3.5 the page will reload after a successful image upload in order to show the new image. This has been fixed in more recent versions of WordPress, but cannot be implemented properly in older versions.
- English – Jonathan Lundström
- Swedish – Jonathan Lundström
- Spanish – Andrew Kurtis at WebHostingHub.
Translations are always more than welcome, and highly appreciated. If you are interested in helping me translate the plugin to your language, please contact me. You can use the tool Codestyling Localization in order to translate the plugin straight from your WordPress admin.
- How do I select an image from the Media Library?
To select an image from the Media Library, simple use the regular button above the content editor, or the one provided in the uploader. All methods have been rewritten to use the native implementations.
- Which image file formats extensions are currently supported?
The current formats that are supported are JPG (JPEG), PNG and GIF
- If I have some feature requests, where can I turn to?
If you have some ideas for new features or improvements I would love to hear about them. You can get in touch with me by sending me an email.
Thank you so much, now I can access my featured image again with my version 4.5.2 wordpress.
I don't know why but it seem my themes broken the stock featured image in new post.
I hope people that have some problems as me can use this plug-in too.
Thanks. Such an increase to my productivity.
Occasionally it conflicts with other plugins, but otherwise works great.
- Added spanish translation, courtesy of Andrew Kurtis at WebHostingHub.
- Fixed PHP notice on line 128, sorry it took so long.
- Fixed a minor styling issue in WordPress 3.8.
- User capability should now apply properly again.
- Minor code fixes.
- Rewritten plugin from scratch using an object-oriented approach.
- Brand new Media Manager hooks, image retrieved using the real API.
- Fixed all AJAX issues that occured in WordPress >= 3.6.
- All post types now show as long as
show_uiis set to true.
- Added option to publish / update the post after a successful image upload or select.
- Renamed the option panel to simply say “Featured Image”.
- Cleaned up the options page styling.
- The uploader could sometimes get stuck the second time an image was uploaded. This behavior has now been fixed.
- Options panel has now been moved to Settings
- Added more options for localization, please help translate the plugin.
- Removed option for file size, this is handled by php.ini.
- Fixes an invalid media manager hook that conflicted with ACF.
- Changed the loading behavior of the scripts and stylesheets by changing hooks and checking the current page in order to reduce conflicts.
- Re-coded the entire featured image mechanism to utilize ajax and mimic the original WordPress behavior. In other words, no more reloads! (WP3.5+)
- Fixes another conflict with Advanced Custom Fields.
- Fixes a mistake I made where some lines of code from 1.4.2 were removed. Compatibility with ACF has been resolved again in this version.
- Fixes a potential conflict with other plugins that bind actions to the media uploader.
- Changed PHP function to reformat names with uppercase characters from ‘mb_stroupper’ to ‘strtoupper’.
- Fixed an issue that affected later versions of Advanced Custom Fields where the image field button would collide with the media selector button JS of this plugin.
- Previously, dropping several files at once would cause them all to upload even though it was warning the user. This issue has now been fixed.
- Added WordPress 3.5 compatibility with the new media viewer. Fixed minor issues and hopefully solved the dual file select bug. Please update asap if you run WordPress 3.5.
- Added settings for plugin customizing control between user roles and capabilities.
- Fixed Plugin URL in main plugin file. No changes made to the code.
- Added a button in the uploader ares for quick access to the Media Library. Also changed the meta box priority from ‘high’ to ‘default’. Thanks to Michael Cannon for suggesting these fixes.
- Fixes a bug where $post->ID was called at every page instead of the edit page. Thanks to kanakiyajay for reporting this issue.
- This version adds support for choosing an image previously uploaded to the gallery or through the media library. It also includes support for localization. Due to restrictions, the page will reload when you choose an image from one of these locations.
- This version fixes a critical bug preventing the pop-out menus to load as well as the visual editor to work properly. Many thanks to Adam for reporting this issue.
- Updated and improved options panel.
- The options panel is now called ‘D&D Featured Image’
- Added option to set a custom filesize limit.
- Removed BMP support as WordPress doesn’t support this format.
- This version also fixes some minor text issues.
- Initial release