Features For The Future
To see a list of features planned for the future as well as to propose your own
ideas for future Document Gallery development, take a look at our
- Bug Fix: The update process was broken in 3.0 -- this resolves that issue.
- Notice: Google Drive support has been removed as recent changes to how the service functions
have made it no longer useful in thumbnail generation. A replacement for supporting MS Office
filetypes (and other filetypes not supported in existing options) is in the works and we hope
to release it soon.
- Enhancement: Thumbnails can now be manually overridden. To do this, either navigate to
Dashboard -> Settings -> Document Gallery -> Thumbnail Management and add the image
to the target attachment, or set the thumbnail in the attachment edit window.
- Enhancement: Users can now specify the number of columns for a gallery.
- Enhancement: Users can now create galleries with specific filetype(s) by using the
option. Thanks for suggesting this functionality,
- Enhancement: Options to
exclude specific attachments in a gallery have been added.
- Enhancement: The document gallery CSS has been modified to make all icon images responsive.
We've also added the
dg_use_default_gallery_style so that developers may completely disabled
Document Gallery CSS and replace it with his/her own.
- Deprecation: The deprecated
dg_doc_icon filter has been removed. Developers should use
- Deprecation: The
localpost option has been deprecated and will be removed at a future date.
If you are currently using
localpost=false then it should be replaced by
- Bug Fix: There was an issue that resulted in an error being thrown in certain situations.
- Bug Fix: There was an issue that resulted in the the Document Gallery Settings view crashing on some systems.
- Bug Fix: There was an issue with how custom CSS was being processed that is resolved in this version.
- Bug Fix: A bug was introduced that broke the
ids parameter. This is resolved now.
- Bug Fix: Update script was failing following new release. This resolves that issue.
- Translation: Russian and Ukrainian translations have been updated.
- Bug Fix: Resolved a couple of bugs introduced with new
- Enhancement: Taxonomy support now includes handling for both relationships
between different taxons and relationships between different terms within a single
taxon. See installation tab for more details.
- Enhancement: You can now limit how many results are displayed in the gallery with
the limit attribute.
- Enhancement: The post_type and post_status used when generating
a gallery are now configurable. (In most cases, these should be left at their default
values, however advanced users may find a use case for this functionality.)
- Enhancement: Support was added for detecting when your site is running behind a
firewall or on a local network where Google Drive Viewer will not be able to function.
- Enhancement: Handling of custom CSS was improved. Page load speed should be improved
in some cases.
- Bug Fix: When Ghostscript chokes on a PDF, it will no longer print the error message
in the Document Gallery output (instead it will end up in Document Gallery Logging).
- Bug Fix: There was an issue with a few phrases not being translated in the
admin dialogs. Dates in the logs were also not being properly translated.
- Enhancement: Improved how Ghostscript executable is detected.
- Bug Fix: Resolves a bug where document descriptions were not being displayed
- Translation: Thanks, Marc Liotard and Traffic Influence
for updating the French translation to include new phrases throughout the plugin!
- Translation:: Thanks to mepmepmep
who has just updated the Document Gallery Swedish translation!
- Enhancement: This will only be relevant to developers.
is now available in the
- Bug Fix: Resolves minor issue in
2.2.1 that resulted in a warning being
logged while interacting with the new thumbnail management table in the
Document Gallery settings.
- Bug Fix: PHP installs older than 5.3 were crashing with version 2.2. This release
patches the issue.
- Note: This release is the first release where development has been done by
multiple people. I would like to give a massive thank you to
demur who has been an equal
partner throughout the development of this version. Couldn't have done it without you!
- Note: With multiple developing this project, it made sense to setup
a formal method to track issues and possible future enhancements. With this in mind
we've begun to maintain an issue tracker.
Feel free to read through possible future features and even suggest new features
you would like to see!
- Enhancement: You can now view which thumbnails have been generated and manually
delete individual thumbnails from the Document Gallery settings page, located at
Dashboard -> Settings -> Document Gallery.
- Enhancement:* The logging for Document Gallery is now **much more advanced.
Logging can be configured and viewed directly from the Document Gallery settings
- Enhancement: Max width and height of generated thumbnails is now configurable.
- Enhancement: We had a couple of reports of the Document Gallery options
being corrupted in some installs, so we added functionality to force validation
of option structure on save. This will not be of much use to most users, but
will help us track down some of the more difficult to reproduce bugs.
- Enhancement: For developers. New filters have been added to support modifying all
aspects of HTML generated by the plugin. Look at the Installation tab for documentation
on these new filters.
- Translation: Thanks to mepmepmep
who has translated Document Gallery into Swedish!
- Translation: Thanks to Marc Liotard who has translated Document Gallery into French!
- Note: If you would like to help translate Document Gallery into another language,
get started here!
- Note: This is an extremely minor release, but big changes are on the
way in version
2.2! Stay tuned as it should be going live in the very
near future. Look for a complete makeover of the admin options including
lots of new ways to configure DG to best meet your needs!
- Enhancement: Ghostscript detection should now work correctly on GoDaddy
and some other hosts that don't properly setup their executables.
- Translation: Thanks again to
demur who has translated
Document Gallery into Russian and Ukrainian! If you would like to help
translate Document Gallery into another language, get started
- Bug Fix: The
order attribute was documented and implemented as being
DEC, but the latter should actually have been
DESC. Documentation and
implementation for this option has been corrected. Thanks again to
demur for catching this!
- Enhancement: Ghostscript will now handle PS and EPS files if enabled.
- Bug Fix: There were a couple of issues in how the
ids attribute was being
handled. Thanks, demur for catching
- Bug Fix:
2.0.6 did not fully resolve the bug described below. This should.
- Bug Fix: If DG failed to automagically detect the location of the
Ghostscript binary, manually setting the location did not enable using it.
Thanks for tracking this bug down,
- Minor: Included various enhancements in handling thumbnail generation
for image types.
- Tested Up To: Document Gallery has been tested in WP 3.9 (RC 1).
- Bug Fix: Rolling back part of CSS enhancments in 2.0.4 that were causing
errors on some servers. May revisit at a later date.
- Enhancement: Custom CSS is now loaded faster, meaning faster page loads
for your users. Tests are showing a speedup of around 30% over where it was
in the last release.
- Enhancement: All of the default icons were sent through
Yahoo! Smush.it, giving a few percentage
points decrease in size. Thanks for the suggestion,
- Enhancement: Now handles custom user CSS more securely.
- Enhancement: Now handles calling Ghostscript executable more securely.
- Enhancement: Now provides timing information for gallery generation
when running WordPress in WP_DEBUG
mode. When enabled, DG will log to the PHP error log file.
- Info: Did you know that in tests I performed, Ghostscript (GS) performed
350% faster than using Imagick (IM)? Try testing with
which finished almost instantly using GS, but took multiple minutes when
using IM on my test server (results may vary). See new FAQ tab to find out why.
- Bug Fix: Imagick was actually never working... My bad -- it is now! Thanks to
kaldimar for reporting this.
- Enhancement: Document Gallery en el Español por Andrew de
WebHostingHub. (To help translate to another
language, see here.)
- Bug Fix: Resolves issue with
2.0 where DG options were not properly
initialized when the plugin was updated. This caused the settings page to
behave oddly and many other things throughout to not work as expected when
you updated through the dashboard. Thanks to jawhite & rigbypa for
- Enhancement: This release is a BIG deal! We are introducing true
document thumbnails (rather than the boring static images that were the same
for every document), meaning that you will be able to generate and display
thumbnails for most of your documents so your users can see a preview of the
document before downloading. This has been
months in development
and I really hope that you all enjoy it!
- Enhancement: Document Gallery now has a settings page where you can
configure the default options for your galleries and chose how thumbnails are
- Enhancement: Customizing CSS for your document gallery is now much easier.
If you want to add additional styling, just navigate to
Settings -> Document Gallery
in your dashboard and enter valid CSS in the "Custom CSS" textbox. See the changes
instantly in your galleries!
- Enhancement: Entire plugin is now
This means that we can now support users speaking all languages. If you are
interested in translating Document Gallery into a language that you speak,
please let me know!
- Enhancement: This release saw much of the backend refactored to better
support future development. Nothing you will notice unless you're digging into
the code, but it will keep me sane long-term ;)
- Note: The thumbnail generation implementation works very hard to support
all hosting servers (including Unix and Windows systems). That said, I cannot
test on all hosts out there, so there is the potential for bugs to appear.
If you notice something that doesn't look right, please don't hesitate to
report the issue
so that I can resolve it. Thanks!
- Bug Fix: Resolves minor bug introduced in version 1.4.2. Thanks, tkokholm!
- Note: This release includes an increase in the minimum WP version to 3.5.
If you have not yet upgraded to at least this version, you should consider doing
so as future releases include a number of fantastic new features as well as
many security improvements. If you chose not to upgrade, you must stay with
Document Gallery 1.4.1 or lower until you do. Sorry for the inconvenience!
- Bug Fix: Resolved icons being displayed differently depending on which
user was currently logged in. (Thanks to
for reporting the issue.)
- Enhancement: A number of new icons were added (mainly for the iWork suite
and source code filetypes) and a number of pre-existing icons were removed if
they were very similar to another icon.
- Under The Hood: Many, many cool things. Stay tuned for a big reveal in the
PS: If you're really curious, there are some clues in the source code ;)
- Bug Fix: This resolves a bug introduced in
1.4, which caused a warning
to be thrown when no attributes were used (i.e.:
[dg]). (Thanks to
pointing this out!)
- New Feature: This release features the addition of category/taxonomy support,
as suggested by Pyo.
- Under The Hood: The plugin was completely rewritten for this release. Logic
was cleaned up to make maintenance easier and facilitate some big changes
planned for version 2.0 of Document Gallery.
- Bug Fix: This resolves a bug introduced in version
1.3. (Thanks to JKChad
for pointing this out!)
- New Feature: It is now possible to filter the HTML produced to represent
each individual icon, making it possible to add extra attributes and other
modifications on the fly as document icons are generated. This will probably
only be of use to developers and people who don't mind getting their hands
dirty. (See bottom Installation tab for more details.)
- Enhancement: There have been a lot of optimizations to the underlying
plugin code to make it run more efficiently and be easier to read, if you
are so inclined.
- Enhancement: Changed how images, when included within the gallery, are
generated so that the format of the icon returned now matches the rest of
- Bug Fix: Resolved issue with the
ids attribute in
1.2 not working.
Sorry about that!
- New Feature: Images can now be included alongside documents in a
document gallery (using
(Thanks for the suggestion, Luca!)
- New Feature: Attachment ids can now be explicitly listed, allowing for
documents not attached to a post or page to be included in a document
ids=2,42,57,1). Note that no spaces should be included.
- Enhancement: The CSS stylesheet has been enhanced for more flexibility
in sizing icons.
- New Feature: Included option to link to the attachment page as well as
to the actual document.
- Enhancement: Added documentation for customizing the appearance of the plugin.
- Enhancement: Many improvements to the backend, including pretty HTML output
and best practice implementation in calls to WordPress core functions.
- Bug Fix: Removed extra
div at bottom when number of documents is
evenly divisible by 4. (Thanks, joero4ri!)
- Bug Fix: Resolved issue with detecting plugin directory. (Thanks,
- Enhancement: Minor improvement to how linking to individual
documents is handled.
- Bug Fix: Merge for changes in 1.0 did not go through correctly so users
downloaded the old icon set which broke the plugin. Sorry about that, but
all is resolved with this release!
- Bug Fix: Resolved issue with long document titles being cut off in some themes.
- New Feature: Plugin now has 36 icons representing 72 filetypes!
- Enhancement: Optimized gallery generation (faster!)
- Enhancement: Added fallback to WordPress default icons if you happen to
include one of the few filetypes not yet supported.
- Enhancement: Changed shortcode to
[document gallery] will still
work for backward compatibility).
- Enhancement: Gave documentation some much needed revisions.
- Release: First public release of Document Gallery.
- Feature: Displays PDF, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and ZIP documents from a
given page or post.
- Feature: Documents can be ordered by a number of