Defensio is an advanced spam filtering web service that learns and adapts to your behaviors and those of your users.
In addition to simple spam filtering, we also provide world-class malicious content detection, profanity filtering,
URL categorization, script detection and much more.
Advanced features such as support for OpenID, detailed statistics, charts and counter widget are also available.
Defensio aims to be an all-in-one anti-spam solution. Therefore, using it along with other anti-spam plugins WILL
cause problems. PLEASE deactivate Akismet and other similar plugins before activating Defensio.
If you wish to enable OpenID support, you must also install another plugin called WP-OpenID. It can be found at
Spread the Defensio Love!
Love Defensio? Spread the word by featuring how many spam comments Defensio filtered with the Defensio Counter!
If your WordPress theme supports widgets, simply add the Defensio Counter widget to your sidebar. You can set color
and alignment options.
If your theme does NOT support widgets, all hope is not lost. You can simply edit your ‘sidebar.php’ file and add
the following code snippet where you want the counter to appear:
By default, the counter is dark grey and left aligned. However, you can customize your counter by passing arguments
You can replace ‘color’ by ‘dark’ or ‘light’ and you can replace ‘align’ by ‘left’, ‘right’, ‘center’.
If you are familiar with basic image manipulation, CSS and HTML, you’ll find it very easy to create your very own
Defensio counter. To do so, you only need to modify lib/defensio_counter.php and put a custom .gif image file in
the images directory. Be careful to follow the naming convention we already have in place.
Defensio does not work with WordPress 2.9 due to a known WordPress bug (https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11505).
This bug has been fixed in WordPress 2.9.1, so make sure to update your installation before using Defensio.
PHP 5 is also required. This plugin will NOT work with PHP 4.
Visit our helpdesk at http://help.defensio.com
Visit our FAQ at http://defensio.com/faq
- Official support for WordPress 3.3
- Official support for WordPress 3.2.1
- Fix missing file bug that prevented activation of the plugin
2.6.0 (02-14-2011 — Valentine’s Day)
- Official support for WordPress 3.1
- Misc minor bug fixes
- Fixed “malicious content detection not enabled” bug in stats
- Fixed bug that broke some multi-site installations
- Fixed a problem that only affected new users on WP 3.0
- Fixed name clash with PEAR
- Fixed mysteriously disappearing API keys
- Fixed an important bug that caused invalid requests to be sent to Defensio under WordPress 3.0
- Fixed bug causing a PHP crash on some configurations
- A few minor fixes
- Support for WordPress 3.0
- Moved CHANGELOG.txt to readme.txt for better WordPress.org/extend compatibility
- Fixed bug causing admins to sometimes being notified of spam by email
- Fixed comment deletion bug
- Fixed bug that prevented plugin from working on MU
- Initial release supporting Defensio 2.0