This is a simple plugin which lets you know in words, roughly how long its been since a post was posted. Its based on the amount of time in seconds since the post was made.
<? wp_date_in_a_nice_tone(); ?> to display the date in your theme.
The following messages are displayed according to how long its been since the post was made:
- if over 3 years = “quite a long while ago…”
- if over 2 years = “over two years ago”
- if over a year = “over a year ago”
- if over 355 days = “around a year ago”
- if over 9 months = “almost a year ago”
- if over 6 months = “about half a year ago”
- if over a month = “more than a month ago…”
- if over 28 days ago = “around a month ago”
- if equal to or more than 8 days ago = “in the last month”
- if equal to or more than 5 days ago = “around a week ago”
- if equal to or more than 3 days ago = “a few days ago”
- if equal to or more than 2 days ago = “a couple of days ago”
- if equal to or more than 1 day ago = “yesterday”
- if more than an hour ago = “freshly baked”
- if less than or equal to an hour ago = “in the last hour”
A month is assumed to be 31 days (therefore “more than a month” is always accurate, regardless of the month in question, and since from 28 days to 31 days we say “around a month ago”, this is also accurate).
A year is assumed to be 366 days (therefore “over a year ago” is always accurate, etc).
See the plugin in action over at ribot.co.uk – we use it in the left hand column
- Download the plugin.
- Unzip the contents of the downloaded folder
- Upload the
wp_date_with_a_nice_tone.phpfile to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory of your WordPress installation.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and activate the
wp_date_with_a_nice_toneplugin that should now be visible in the list.
- You can now insert
<? wp_date_in_a_nice_tone(); ?>anywhere in The Loop in your WordPress theme.
Contributors & Developers
“Date in a nice tone” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.