Designers often complain of having trouble changing the “Search” button text for the search form that appears on the sidebar. I found that, this could only be done by modifying the /includes/general-template.php, which is not a good idea as this change had to be done everytime there was an update for wordpress.
Therefore I came up with the idea of creating a plugin for the widget – “search”.
This widget lets the admin to modify the title of the search form and the text on the button.
This widget can therefore be used instead of the “search” widget that comes with wordpress itself.
As a drawback – this plugin does not change the form – title or button text of the search form that appears on the search page.
A brief Markdown Example
- Upload the entire custom-search-form folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Drag the custom-search-form widget from the Available Widgets area to the Primary Widget Area.
- Can the button be replaced by an image?
For the time being no. If I get some time to modify this widget in the near future. I would like to add this feature.
Contributors & Developers
“custom-search-form” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- The plugin files were in a folder of their own and as a result the plugin appeared broken. Fixed it.