Translator is a free translation button provided by ConveyThis that allows your visitors to translate your blog into hundreds of different languages instantly! The button is added automatically to the top of every post.
ConveyThis started in 2008 as a quick, easy-to-install widget for webmasters to add to their websites to provide instant and accurate translations to their visitors with little effort, setup, or maintenance. Now, ConveyThis has adapted its format to make this setup even easier for the millions of webmasters and developers runnings blogs and other sites from WordPress by creating this simple, easy-to-use plugin. ConveyThis launched as a platform for free, crowdsourced translation for apps, websites, and software over five years ago, and continues to grow today, with thousands of projects translated and tens of thousands of registered, volunteer translators. As a means of bridging the gap for webmasters with less technical background, ConveyThis has developed the Translate widget as a way to provide website translation fast and easy to install no matter what the skill level, and for bloggers on WordPress, this simple, easy-to-use plugin was created to make the process even more seamless.
ConveyThis is powered by Google Translate and combines all its translation functionality into one small, easy to use button.
Simply install the Translator plugin via your admin panel, select what language your blog’s posts are written in, choose a button style, click “save,” and you’re done!
Once installed, the button will appear at the top of the individual posts, allowing your visitors to select their language and instantly translate your blog’s content. It’s that easy!
Check out our video:
ConveyThis supports over 100 languages.
- Upload conveythis-language-translation-plugin folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- If your website is not in English, go to the settings page and select the language from the dropdown menu.
- If you are using any caching plugins, such as WP Super Cache, you will need to clear your cached pages after updating your ConveyThis settings.
- When will you be adding support for new languages?
Since the button only uses Google Translate, we have no control of when new languages will be available. Once Google
does add a new language, we try to add support for that language as quickly as possible.
- Google added a new language, and it’s not available through ConveyThis. Why is that?
When Google adds a new language it is not automatically available through ConveyThis. This is because we must make internal changes
to our program telling it the language is available and how to handle it. Also, we need to add a flag image for that language. We make every
effort to keep the translator’s available language list as up to date as possible.
It doesn’t have any SEO features. But it advertises “Best SEO and multilingual Google practices.”
Lots of errors when debug mode is on.
Great plugin. Love its ability to translate to over 100 languages. Simple interface. Easy to install.
It works through Google Translate, so short of hiring paid, professional translators to translate all of your text, this is the most accurate machine translation you can get.
Contributors & Developers
“Translator” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Standardized and simplified plugin code.
- All first-party functionality removed.
- jQuery validation removed.
- Made branding optional.
- Fixed bug where button script was included in admin pages.
- Added “reset options” page.
- Included an optional free trial for Google API translation.
- Now supporting over 100 languages.
- Complete revamp of plugin.
- Language settings and other options can now be set from the Settings panel in wp-admin.