Deleting spam posts from your website is much easier with this plugin. With a click of a
button, you can delete all the posts created by spammer accounts and prevent anyone from
logging into an account that you have clobbered. A new administrative page is created to
allow this moderation under the Users menu.
- Login to your administration dashboard
- Click Add New under the plugins menu
- Type ‘clobber spam users’ into the search box and press the Search Plugins button
- Locate Clobber spam users by Corey Salzano in the search results and click Install Now
- Click Activate Plugin after the installation finishes
- Visit Clobber Spam under the Users menu of your dashboard to use the plugin
- What does this thing do?
This plugin adds a menu item to the Users menu of your administration dashboard. Click
this new “Clobber Spam” link and you will see a page that puts the most recently created
user names next to the email address and the title of the most recently created post by
that user. You can check a box next to the users you believe are spam and click a button
to delete all their posts and prevent them from logging in ever again.
- Why not just delete the users?
Because the software these spammers use will try to submit more than one post for each
account, sometimes days later. If you delete the user, the same user name can be
recreated. By keeping the user and changing the password and email address, we prevent
that account from being used. The spam software is forced to create a new account to
continue bothering us. Also, I already use a really good plugin to delete old and unused
user accounts. It is called Inactive User Deleter by shra and I regularly
use it to delete users with no posts and no comments that are at least 6 months old.
- Can this process of deleting spam post submissions be automated?
I would love to build the “akismet for posts” because I could make a lot of money selling
it. I have been using Ban Hammer and Stop Spammer Registrations
and I still decided to build this plugin to handle about 50 posts a week that these
plugins are failing to prevent.
- Can you add feature X?
Send me your idea, and we can have a conversation.
Contributors & Developers
“Clobber spam users” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Added a conditional to the loop that deletes posts to make sure a user ID is provided
- Added a handler for posts that are saved with no title
- First build