BP Group Reviews adds a new tab to your BuddyPress groups, where users can leave reviews and star ratings for the group.
The guts of the plugin were written by Andy Peatling for use on the Extend section of buddypress.org. His code was adapted and expanded into this plugin by Boone Gorges. All praise goes to Andy, all blame for things broken goes to Boone 🙂
Follow the plugin’s development at http://github.com/boonebgorges/bp-group-reviews
- Italian: Luca Camellini
- Persian: Alefba
- Dutch: GooseNL
- Spanish: SeluGlindoo
- Russian: slaFFik
- Can I write a translation for the plugin?
Sure can. There’s a .pot file in the plugin’s languages directory.
- I need a hook
Let me know and I’ll put it in there for you.
Ok, so I installed this plugin a week ago and it was broken as reported by other users. Error received:
Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/bp-group-reviews/bp-group-reviews.php on line 147 and defined in /public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990
Decided to hold off on reviewing it (don't like to pass reviews out that easy) to do some research and couldn't find another plugin that offered this functionality or solutions to fix it without having to hire someone with more knowledge than myself. Bummer I thought.
So I want to give my groups meetup.com-like functionality which includes reviews for meetups so I was going to do what it takes to get reviews functionality integrated into my Buddypress groups even if it meant hiring a developer.
Long story short, I decided to again install the plugin just now to see if I could possibly fix it and it literally installed without any hitches. It is working great and I know have the Buddypress group reviews functionality I want!
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the latest WordPress update (literally released a few days ago) has fixed something that was breaking the plugin prior.
So I was considering giving this plugin 1 star when I initially installed it because it was broken, and now I was considering giving it 4 stars (now that it is working!) because it doesn't appear to be updated regularly anymore, however, because it is literally the only plugin I could find that offers this feature (and it is working now!) I am going to give it 5 stars. Honestly, it also works great (now!), and looks great on my site. NOTE: Depending on your theme, css will likely need to be tweaked to get it just right.
Anyways, go ahead and give the plugin a try. If it gives you the weird error, disable plugin, remove it, and then re-install it and see what happens. Maybe that fixed my issue, though I'm more inclined to believe the latest WordPress update was what fixed it.
@boone Boone Gorges, @apeatling Andy Peatling, if you guys read this review by some chance, can you update this plugin/check to see if everything is good (no security holes, full compliance with new wordpress/buddypress, etc). I think review functionality is crucial to extend Buddypress groups and I would love to see more downloads and 5 star reviews of your plugin. Thanks!!!
- BP 1.7 compatibility
- corrects a bug in the user review (above the list) if a new page is loaded (?acpage=2 and so on)
- changes the way activity-read-more is replaced by already-rated-read-more
- changes .live for .on
- Increased compatibility with BP 1.6 canonical redirects
- Display the content of a failed review in the post box if returned by an error
- BP 1.5 Compatibility
- Fixes a bug that caused BPGR to interfere with topic listing on Forums directory.
- Fixes bug that caused number of reviews not to be counted in some legacy cases
- Hides group review data in directories and in group headers when the group has had reviews but then has them turned off
- Fixes bug that caused errors when activity component is disabled
- Prevents non-members from accessing the Reviews tabs of private and hidden groups
- Adds Highest Rated widget
- Fixed bug that caused BPGR JS to load before jQuery in some cases. Props Brajesh
- Fixed bug that may have caused review post form for non-logged-in members. Props slaFFik
- Russian translation added. Props slaFFik
- Fixed bug that showed wrong rating count in groups directory
- Fixed bug that made it unreasonably difficult to unhook directory ratings
- Rating data in hooked into the group directory
- Users are limited by default to one review per group (see includes/templatetags.php bpgr_allow_multiple_reviews() for details)
- Spanish translation added (props SeluGlindoo)
- Reviews can now be enabled on a group-by-group basis (group admin > group settings)
- Persian translation added (props Alefba)
- Dutch translation added (props GooseNL)
- Missing gettext calls fixed
- Typo fixed (props Luca Camellini)
- Italian translation added (props Luca Camellini)
- Loads ratings metadata into the groups loop for better performance
- Missing gettext calls fixed
- Initial release