This plugin takes place between the gravatar picture and the default avatar return. If an email is not associated with a gravatar account, a Google Image request is sent to grab the first best relevant face picture of this member.
When a google image photo have been chosen, the user will receive a mail with 3 links, 1st to delete this avatar if not relevant enought, 2nd to refresh it, if its email is not associated with a gratavar account, 3rd an invitation to create a gravatar account.
Also, you can add you own avatar by uploading your picture, easily !
Then, you can use a gravatar cache to keep all avatar files on your server and, limit the HTTP request on gravatar.com
Here comes a (french, just watch ;p) demo video, 15mn length. (video = version 1.8 !)
- I’m a developper, what can i hook from your plugin ?
Here come the filters list:
1. “get_avatar” : from WP core, included in get_avatar() function, i “overwrite” it, it’s a pluggable function.
1. “ggi_get_avatar” : same as above, included in get_avatar() function, same place, but instead of “$id_or_email” var, i put “$email” which is more logical
1. “default_size” : triggers every time we need to get_avatar(), default is 96 (like WP core)
1. “mail_avatar_signature” : Used to change the default email signature “Best regards – Blog_Name”
Here come the actions list:
1. “baw_google_download_img” : Triggers when a picture have to be downloaded for caching
1. “gravatar_from_cache” : Triggers at the end of grabbing the cache file
1. “gravatar_from_google” : Triggers at the end of grabbing the google file
and “get_avatar_comment_types” already and still exists too, from WP core.
Good idea, but first start I got a heavy load system (a lot of requests, I think)..
UPD: Every time.
- 31 jul 2012
- Bug fix when someone delete its avatar, an empty one was given.
- 22 jul 2012
- Bug fix : incorrect char :/
- Bug fix : Faces was not “default” in options discussion page
- 22 jul 2012
- Some code improvments
- Forgot to remove a comment in .js 😉
- Readme file filled 🙂
- 21 jul 2012
- Add a new default avatar, “tyniaf.php” for “Turn Your Name Into A Face (.com)”, this is a face generator based on string.
- Add a filter on “get_avatar” for this generated avatar, it changes “height” into “data-height”
- Add a filter named “default_size” (96px), it’s used on the first call of get_avatar(), so this is the height/width of the cached file!
- Add a filter named “ggi_get_avatar”, same as core filter named “get_avatar” but in place of “id_or_email”, i put “email”
- Add a filter named “mail_avatar_signature” to change the default signature in the sent email
- Add an action named “baw_google_download_img”, triggers when a image have to be downloaded
- Add an action named “gravatar_from_cache”, triggers at the end of grabbing the cache file
- Add an action named “gravatar_from_google”, triggers at the end of grabbing the google file
- Add feature : You can now empty the cache folder
- Change : Options > 2 radio button blocks now with more choices
- Change : Help improved
- Change : Much better get_avatar() overwrite with better returns and cache
- Change : Much better baw_google_download_img() with beter resize and return + security improvment
- Change : Better install script
- Change : Better uninstall script
- Fix admin_enqueue_scripts => admin_print_styles, my bad
- Info : “get_avatar_comment_types” filter from WP core still exists
- 20 jul 2012
- Bug fix on some installations,
global $upload_dir;was a bad idea… 😉
- 20 jul 2012
- First release on WP repo
- Code improvment
- 19 jul 2012
- Add caching system and help
- 18 jul 2012
- Add the email stuff
- 17 jul 2012
- Add possibility to upload you own default avatar
- 16 jul 2012
- First try