This widget adds a dictionary to your sidebar and displays words from it through ajax calls.
All the words in the description are links themselves, so you can keep wandering through the
words. If a word has no description, a small form is displayed to make one up.
It is not meant to be useful, so it has no search. You can only hope visitors will come up
with nice, sarcastic or cryptic descriptions.
The previous version of this plugin (1.2.3) has been in the Plugin Directory for many years without update.
I have completely rewritten this plugin, and several things changed. If you have trouble updating it, you can delete the old version first. All the words you have in your database will NOT be deleted, so after installing this new version, you will see the same words.
And if you are still using my plugin, thank you very much. I look forward to hearing about the way you use it.
Kind regards from the Netherlands,
- Upload the folder to wp-content/plugins/
- Activate the widget through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Add the widget to a sidebar
- Configure the title and decide if you want to start with a random word
- What are all these options I get?
- Widget title: the text to display over the cd covers
- Start with random word: start with a random word or set the word to start with
Contributors & Developers
“Associative Dictionary” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- removed my alter ego hondjevandirkie from the author list
- translation files added for EN, FR and NL to pluginfolder/languages/
No updates for over 7 years! I totally forgot about this plugin. As a result, the code was in need of an update.
* added security checks for the addition of new words
* added security checks for the settings
* I removed “If you are using an older version of WordPress that doesn’t support widgets…” from the FAQ 🙂
* options for the widget have been rewritten to use proper WordPress subclassing
* added a tiny bit (‘just a mint’) of style to give the form some breathing room
The widget is now also available in French, with a thank you to Anna Koenig-Wisniewska and Claude Springer.
you still encounter this error, please let me know!