This plugin restricts access from outside links (referrers) by IP address and/or domain name. It can be used to allow access from nominated IP addresses or domains of the referrer.
Although designed for general use by all WordPress sites, this plugin is recommended for use by ASPS Protected Hosting clients to restrict access to web pages intended for copy protection.
- Easy install.
- Restrict referrer access by IP address and/or domain name.
- Allow access to referrers by IP address and/or domain name.
- Specify which pages are to be protected using full link.
- Specify which sections to be protected by name or part thereof.
- Admin account is exempt from rules for proof-reading and testing.
For more information visit the ASPS Protected Hosting website.
After nominating an IP or domain address to allow/deny, you can then nominate which content on your website that the rules should be applied to. For example, you can nominate which pages are protected by nominating the whole link like:
Or you can nominate sections by using only part of the link like:
Nominating “/” will apply referrer check to your whole site. If your website uses several different domain names you can make nominations that mention the page/section only.
Domain names can server all aliases, for example using example.com will also allow news.example.com.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the “asps-check-referrer” folder and its contents to the “/wp-content/plugins/” directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in the WordPress dashboard.
- Click “ASPS Check Referrer” to add the settings for your pages.
NOTE: To test this plugin as an ordinary user you need to use a non-admin account.
I tried every single possible way of allowing my domain name as the allowed referrer of protected pages (MyDomain.com, www.MyDomain.com, and without http), as well as my IP address, for manually-clicked links to those protected pages as well as redirects coming from within my domain… but yet still can’t access protected page. I looked at the website’s personal forum and there isn’t anything regarding wordpress support. Think they just want you to purchase a license. Don’t waste your time. Plus the only way I could even protect any pages is if I used the third option at the bottom of the settings page, of the content section. It doesn’t work if you put a page in the page’s section. Whether you use http, www, or just “/mypage”. Nothing works.
Contributors & Developers
“ASPS Check Referrer” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Tested for WordPress 4.7.
- Upgraded for WordPress 4.6.
- Upgraded for WordPress 4.3 and later.
- Tested for WordPress 4.2.
- Added key (/) for site root.
- Improved logic.
- First release.