See the Installation Page for details on setting up the Products. There is a dynamic FAQs feed in the plugin that will allow for adding new FAQs as they come up.
More detailed FAQs will come as questions/solutions arise.
What do I need to do to get started?
- You need to have an Amazon Affiliate Account and you have to register for the Amazon Product Advertising API to get a set of access Keys to put in the pluign. That allows the plugin to make calls to Amazon to get Product Data and pricing.
- Version 3.5.1+ has a Getting Started page that helps you through the Amazon Signup for your Amazon Access Keys. Install the plugin and go to the Getting Started Page in the plugin menu for more information.
MY PRODUCTS DO NOT DISPLAY! What is wrong?
- It could be several things. The FIRST thing to check is the AMAZON Access Key ID and Secret Access Key in the options page. If they are blank, you need to sign up for your own from Amazon. You can sign up here http://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html to get your own. Without it, your products will display.
- Also check to make sure you are using Product Advertising Keys. There are many different products from Amazon that require API keys - and this one needs the Product Advertising API Keys specifically.
- Another common cause, is the method of the api call. By default, it is set to use "file_get_contents", but since some servers do not allow this method you may need to use the older CURL method. Change this in the options page and then check to see if the problem is resolved.
My Products only display a blank image and a "()" for the title - what is wrong?
- See the above question and answer - the cause and fix are the same.
Can I uninstall everything if I don't want to use the plugin anymore?
- Yes. With version 2.0 forward, if you want to remove EVERY TRACE of the plugin, you can (There is also a less permanent removal if you you think you may want it back in the future).
- The full removal can be initiated by checking "Uninstall when deactivated" AND "Remove ALL traces when uninstalled" in the options page - then deactivate the plugin as usual. This will remove ALL traces of the plugin... that means: the database, options, post meta values, and shortcodes in posts and pages.
- The partial removal can be initiated by checking only the "Uninstall when deactivated" option, then save and deactivate the plugin as usual. This will remove the database (which is only cached products) and the basic options. All meta and shortcodes will remain.
How do I add a product?
- To Add a New Product Post, you have 3 options:
- You can add a new post the regular way (Post / Add New / fill out the items /Publish), and them add the product as outlined above
- You can use the Quick Add Product Feature (called Amazon PIP in the Amazon PIP menu). This is the fastest method for adding a quick product with minimum text. This Method will create a New Post in the selected categories.
- You can add a Product via Shortcode to an existing Page/Post.
I want to use my own Amazon button, can I?
- Yes. with 3.5.1+ you can use your own buttons -- but, note that you must be using the amazon-elements shortcode to do so. Install the plugin if you have not yet, and then look at the plugin SHORTCODE USAGE page for details on how to use that feature.
How do I use the Shortcode?
- To Add a product Via Shortcode, go to the Content editor for an existing page/post (or create a new post/page), add [AMAZONPRODUCTS asin="XXXXXXXXXX"] where XXXXXXXXXX is the Amazon ASIN number. Then update or save the Page/Post. You can add as many products this way as you like (up to 10 per shortcode). Just keep in mind that there is a call made to the Amazon API for each shortcode added, so adding too many products could cause a noticeable increase in page loading time.
- See the SHORTCODE USAGE page in the plugin menu for more complete details.
My Products are coming up blank - what do I do?
- Most likely the reason is your server does not support external URL call using the file_get_contents() function. If you don't have access to your sites php.ini file to change the settings (most people don't), then on the options pages for the plugin, change the API get method to "CURL" and save the settings. This will fix the problem in most cases.
- Another common cause is that the API keys are not the correct ones. Be sure you have the Product Advertising keys - if they are not, the plugin will not return an error and not display the products.
I Want to Change the Look of the Products - can you do that for me?
- I would love to say yes, but we cannot make custom changes for everyone that asks - there are just not enough hours in the day - if you REALLY want us to do it for you, contact us - and for a small fee, we will give you whatever look/style you want. Keep in mind that your theme has a lot to do with the way your products look.
You can tweak the look yourself if you have experience with CSS styles. The options page have a style for each element displayed in the product, so you can tweak it however you like. If you screw it up - just reset it back to the default and start over.
My product shows up fine, but there is no price - what's wrong?
- Some products on Amazon.com are provided my external vendors. If a vendor want to hide the price from others until a certain price is reached, they have that ability. When that occurs, Amazon will NOT send the price in the API call - so no price will be displayed. You can edit the custom message that is displayed in the options panel if you wish.
- Kindle products do not have pricing with this plugin. Amazon does not include the Kindle price in the API, so we can only put a note that says Kindle Edition - Check Amazon for Pricing.
Great Plugin! How do I donate to the cause?
- Excellent question! The plugin is provided free to the public - you can use it however you like - where ever you like - you can even change it however you like. Should you decide that the plugin has been a great help and want to donate to our plugin development fund, you may do so here.