Release Date - 6 July 2015
- Notify users when their account status changes after previously being successfully set up. This should help any users who are seeing blank Akismet settings screens.
Release Date - 7 June 2015
- Reduced the amount of space Akismet uses in the commentmeta table.
- Fixed a bug where some comments with quotes in the author name weren't getting history entries
- Pre-emptive security improvements to ensure that the Akismet plugin can't be used by attackers to compromise a WordPress installation.
- Better UI for the key entry field: allow whitespace to be included at the beginning or end of the key and strip it out automatically when the form is submitted.
- When deactivating the plugin, notify the Akismet API so the site can be marked as inactive.
- Clearer error messages.
Release Date - 17th March, 2015
- Include the pingback pre-check from the 2.6 branch.
Release Date - 11th March, 2015
- Use HTTPS by default for all requests to Akismet.
- Fix for a situation where Akismet might strip HTML from a comment.
Release Date - 11th December, 2014
- Fix to make .htaccess compatible with Apache 2.4.
- Fix to allow removal of https author URLs.
- Fix to avoid stripping part of the author URL when removing and re-adding.
- Removed the "Check for Spam" button from the "Trash" and "Approved" queues, where it would have no effect.
- Allow automatic API key configuration when Jetpack is installed and connected to a WordPress.com account
Release Date - 3rd November, 2014
- Fix for sending the wrong data to delete_comment action that could have prevented old spam comments from being deleted.
- Added a filter to disable logging of Akismet debugging information.
- Added a filter for the maximum comment age when deleting old spam comments.
- Added a filter for the number per batch when deleting old spam comments.
- Removed the "Check for Spam" button from the Spam folder.
Release Date - 18th August, 2014
- Performance improvements.
- Fixed a bug that could truncate the comment data being sent to Akismet for checking.
Release Date - 9th July, 2014
- Removed dependency on PHP's fsockopen function
- Fix spam/ham reports to work when reported outside of the WP dashboard, e.g., from Notifications or the WP app
- Remove unnecessary data from some Akismet comment meta
- Suspended keys will now result in all comments being put in moderation, not spam.
Release Date - 15th April, 2014
- Move Akismet to Settings menu
- Drop Akismet Stats menu
- Add stats snapshot to Akismet settings
- Add Akismet subscription details and status to Akismet settings
- Add contextual help for each page
- Improve Akismet setup to use Jetpack to automate plugin setup
- Fix "Check for Spam" to use AJAX to avoid page timing out
- Fix Akismet settings page to be responsive
- Drop legacy code
- Replace the old discard setting with a new "discard pervasive spam" feature.
Release Date - 18th March, 2014
- Add ajax paging to the check for spam button to handle large volumes of comments
- Fix bug in link to spam comments from right now dashboard widget
- Fix bug with deleting old comments to avoid timeouts dealing with large volumes of comments
- Include X-Pingback-Forwarded-For header in outbound WordPress pingback verifications
- Add pre-check for pingbacks, to stop spam before an outbound verification request is made
Release Date - 1st August, 2013
- Fix some non-translatable strings to be translatable
- Update Activation banner in plugins page to redirect user to Akismet config page
Release Date - 20th January, 2013
- Simplify the activation process for new users
- Remove the reporter_ip parameter
- Minor preventative security improvements
Release Date - 13th December, 2012
- FireFox Stats iframe preview bug
- Fix mshots preview when using https
- Add .htaccess to block direct access to files
- Prevent some PHP notices
- Fix Check For Spam return location when referrer is empty
- Fix Settings links for network admins
- Fix prepare() warnings in WP 3.5
Release Date - 26th April, 2012
- Prevent retry scheduling problems on sites where wp_cron is misbehaving
- Preload mshot previews
- Modernize the widget code
- Fix a bug where comments were not held for moderation during an error condition
- Improve the UX and display when comments are temporarily held due to an error
- Make the Check For Spam button force a retry when comments are held due to an error
- Handle errors caused by an invalid key
- Don't retry comments that are too old
- Improve error messages when verifying an API key
Release Date - 11th January, 2012
- Add nonce check for comment author URL remove action
- Fix the settings link
Release Date - 5th January, 2012
- Added author URL quick removal functionality
- Added mShot preview on Author URL hover
- Added empty index.php to prevent directory listing
- Move wp-admin menu items under Jetpack, if it is installed
- Purge old Akismet comment meta data, default of 15 days
Release Date - 8th Febuary, 2011
- Specify the license is GPL v2 or later
- Fix a bug that could result in orphaned commentmeta entries
- Include hotfix for WordPress 3.0.5 filter issue
Release Date - 14th January, 2011
- Properly format the comment count for author counts
- Look for super admins on multisite installs when looking up user roles
- Increase the HTTP request timeout
- Removed padding for author approved count
- Fix typo in function name
- Set Akismet stats iframe height to fixed 2500px. Better to have one tall scroll bar than two side by side.
Release Date - 17th December, 2010
- Fix a bug that caused the "Auto delete" option to fail to discard comments correctly
- Remove the comment nonce form field from the 'Akismet Configuration' page in favor of using a filter, akismet_comment_nonce
- Fixed padding bug in "author" column of posts screen
- Added margin-top to "cleared by ..." badges on dashboard
- Fix possible error when calling akismet_cron_recheck()
- Fix more PHP warnings
- Clean up XHTML warnings for comment nonce
- Fix for possible condition where scheduled comment re-checks could get stuck
- Clean up the comment meta details after deleting a comment
- Only show the status badge if the comment status has been changed by someone/something other than Akismet
- Show a 'History' link in the row-actions
- Translation fixes
- Reduced font-size on author name
- Moved "flagged by..." notification to top right corner of comment container and removed heavy styling
- Hid "flagged by..." notification while on dashboard
Release Date - 7th December, 2010
- Track comment actions under 'Akismet Status' on the edit comment screen
- Fix a few remaining deprecated function calls ( props Mike Glendinning )
- Use HTTPS for the stats IFRAME when wp-admin is using HTTPS
- Use the WordPress HTTP class if available
- Move the admin UI code to a separate file, only loaded when needed
- Add cron retry feature, to replace the old connectivity check
- Display Akismet status badge beside each comment
- Record history for each comment, and display it on the edit page
- Record the complete comment as originally submitted in comment_meta, to use when reporting spam and ham
- Highlight links in comment content
- New option, "Show the number of comments you've approved beside each comment author."
- New option, "Use a nonce on the comment form."
Release Date - 23rd August, 2010
- Spell out that the license is GPLv2
- Fix PHP warnings
- Fix WordPress deprecated function calls
- Fire the delete_comment action when deleting comments
- Move code specific for older WP versions to legacy.php
- General code clean up
Release Date - 5th June, 2010
- Fix "Are you sure" nonce message on config screen in WPMU
- Fix XHTML compliance issue in sidebar widget
- Change author link; remove some old references to WordPress.com accounts
- Localize the widget title (core ticket #13879)
Release Date - 2nd June, 2010
- Eliminate a potential conflict with some plugins that may cause spurious reports
Release Date - 27th May, 2010
- Fix bug in initial comment check for ipv6 addresses
- Report comments as ham when they are moved from spam to moderation
- Report comments as ham when clicking undo after spam
- Use transition_comment_status action when available instead of older actions for spam/ham submissions
- Better diagnostic messages when PHP network functions are unavailable
- Better handling of comments by logged-in users
Release Date - 17th December, 2009
- Add a new AKISMET_VERSION constant
- Reduce the possibility of over-counting spam when another spam filter plugin is in use
- Disable the connectivity check when the API key is hard-coded for WPMU
Release Date - 20th July, 2009
- Fix a global warning introduced in 2.2.5
- Add changelog and additional readme.txt tags
- Fix an array conversion warning in some versions of PHP
- Support a new WPCOM_API_KEY constant for easier use with WordPress MU
Release Date - 13th July, 2009
- Include a new Server Connectivity diagnostic check, to detect problems caused by firewalls
Release Date - 3rd June, 2009
- Fixed a key problem affecting the stats feature in WordPress MU
- Provide additional blog information in Akismet API calls