While a few releases ago the way images and media was handled was enormously improved, it feels very complicated for regular users. I’d love to figure out a way of improving it. I’ve looked for plugins for this, but no luck.
In my opinion these are things that could be improved/changed…
- The actual media buttons (above the content area) could be a tiny bit more prominent. Users often miss them.
- 4 different media buttons is overkill — and they essentially do the same thing.
- My main problem is that once a file is uploaded you get a large scary looking form. This should be on a fresh view (not part of an expanded list).
- The form should by default possibly just show: Title, Alignment
- 'Insert into Post' should be more prominent. It is unclear this is most people's
- There should be a default size so the user doesn’t have to think about it (admin could decide the default size)
- 'Set Featured image' should have a different form — it is confusing having 'Insert Into Post' as the main button
It would make plenty of sense to keep 'advanced' options for admin, and other roles if they choose (maybe with something that hides it or a preference).
I’m a UX/designer type, and I’d be very happy to wireframe something out.