Post to blog from mobile phone
I would like to be able to post to my blog from my mobile phone. I don't need a full admin-interface for this, nor do I need a WYSIWYG editor. All I need is a field for the title, a field for the body, a field to enter the tags, select the category and attach images.
Blogging by e-mail is not an option for me, else I would use that.
I would like to be able to post images from my phone onto my blog -- emailing is fine, though.
The email function is not what it could be - it would be more usefull to have a cutdown admin interface that could be accessed.
Geekess: A stripped down, mobile device compatible version of the admin posting interface? Yes please.
I want this too. I have tried and tried and still can't get the post by email option to work, much less the post by mobile option. These are both features I used with other blog platforms quite easily. In WP it takes plugins and hacks and I just can't get it to work. Argh.
Yes, please, nice and easy post by email or mobile phone option.
If you have a flickr account you can do this currently. I have my account linked to my wordpress. I snap a picture with my phone, send it to a special Flickr email address, and it gets posted to my WordPress (and flickr).
Here's an example:
Dupe idea. You can do this already anyway.
drmike says you can do this already. How? The "email to post" option is not available to me (due to a funky shared email setup), and the current "Write a post" page is completely unsuitable for many mobile clients. In some browsers (e.g. Windows Mobile 5/6) it doesn't render properly; in others (e.g. Opera, Blackberry) it renders OK but it's impossible to navigate because there are so many freaking elements on the page. I want a simple subset of the write post page: title, body, category. (I'd also like a matching version of the posting bookmarklet.)
Don't waste too much energy on this issue. All will change with iPhone.
Agreed. A mobile app a la google mobile, etc would be nice - ability to enter text and images would be very cool. For those of you willing to spend $$$ on an iPhone, maybe that will work, maybe not. Remains to be seen. In the meantime and for the rest of us who the iPhone is a bit out of our price range, here's a solution you can do right now. There is a "round-about" way to post from your phone. I do it all the time. Someone alluded to it but nobody's explained how. There's two parts: setting it all up and then there's actually doing it. First the "hard" part:
1. Step one is of course having the ability to connect to the internet through your phone and having the ability to send email through your phone to a specific email address. Many phones can send texts directly to email accounts but if your's doesn't have that feature, I recommend installing the google mobile utility (or yahoo or whatever as long as you can access their mail software and compose an email and send it to yourself) get google's here: http://www.google.com/mobile/
2. Install the WordPress "Blog by email" extension. Get it here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_by_Email
3. I mentioned above sending yourself an email. I recommend creating a special email account just for posting blogs and don't ever use that address for anything else or you could start getting spammers thinking they're sending something to your email when in reality they're posting to your blog. Not good.
That's the hard part. Now the easy part or actually posting a blog via email created on your phone.
1. Using either your text-to-email or using the google mobile software to access your gmail composer, write your post. The subject of the email will be your headline and your email body will be your blog body copy. Send the text or the composed email to your special email address you've created. (make sure you don't have a third party mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird checking your special account)
2. Using your phone, go to this address to complete the post: http://yourblogsite.com/installdir/wp-mail.php
Wordpress will act in the same way as your email client to parse the email into post format. The wp-mail.php code will do the rest to immediately post your blog.
So that's it. Once the software is installed and in place, just compose your email and then go to your blog's wp-mail address to post it. I actually set a bookmark in my phone so it's even easier. Good luck.
RSS feed for this topic
This topic has been closed to new replies.