WordPress.org

Ideas

Option to turn off WYSIWYG editor, sitewide!

  1. jayp
    Member

    12345

    For some inexplicable reason, the developers removed the option to turn off the WYSIWYG editor by default.

    I can't for the life of me understand why they would remove that flexibility, especially when the WYSIWYG sucks so bad. I don't actually blame the developers for the WYSIWYG. A good one doesn't exist yet except in programs like Dreamweaver, and even then things don't always work right.

    I just want to have the option to turn the things off for all the different sites I manage!

    Posted: 8 years ago #
  2. Delete /wp-includes/js/tinymce/ and then relax (don't worry, nothing will break). Less files to upload too. :)

    Posted: 8 years ago #
  3. jayp
    Member

    12345

    But then I'd have to do this across over a dozen sites, and remember to do it each time a new WP version comes out. Way too much hassle. I wish the devs would quit forcing people to do it their way or hack the default files. I don't want to see option overkill, but this one made sense.

    Posted: 7 years ago #
  4. marcoskirsch
    Member

    Actually, not only would it be nice to turn it on and off on a global basis, but on a per-post basis. This way WP remembers the setting in case you go back and update. 90% of the time the WYSIWYG editor does the job, but the other 10% it messes up the code quite a bit, so remembering the setting can save a lot of frustration.

    Posted: 7 years ago #
  5. Justin Shreve
    Member

    This is a setting in writing so it must have been added back.

    Posted: 5 years ago #
  6. Jen
    Community Organizer

    Justin: it's a personal setting, not a sitewide setting. To remove it completely one would need to edit a file.

    Posted: 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

  • Rating

    12345
    7 Votes
  • Status

    This is plugin territory

Tags