It would we super cool if you could have one wordpress install (code base) on your server that could be used across as many blogs as you like by simply making a single index.php file and the wp-content folder for site specific stuff (uploads, themes, plugins etc).
- This would make Updating MUCH easier for admins who maintain more than one blog.
- More secure as the WP code base could be outside the web root.
- Save server space on the server.
I tried to do it myself but the main obstruction was that the admin seems to be an almost completely different system/design to the front end. What this proposal really means is for the wp-admin to be integrated with the front end. The other major side effects of doing this would be:
- Admin is completely theme-able like the front end.
- Admin development would become theme development with thousands of developers helping out.
- WordPress Mu not required anymore.
I know about the WordPress Mu project but is it as updated as often as the regular WP? WP-Mu would also be obsolete if this change were to go ahead.