I would like to see an improved wp_link_pages() function, that takes more arguments and is easier to configure.
The problem is, that you only can choose between 'next' posts and a list with the numbers of the pages. You cannot combine the two and the output isn't really clean. I would recommend to use an unordered list that includes classes for the elements, so it's easier to style it with CSS.
A design like the following would really improve the output.
(I posted the code on pastebin, because there were some errors with the output)
The following is a list of things, that need to change.
- Add: next_or_number - Include third option: both
- Add: pagination-class - An option, to add classes to the unordered list
- Add: pagination-id - An option, to add a custom id to the unordered list
- Remove: link_before - Is not needed, as you can define the output using the pagelink option
- Remove: link_after - Is not needed, as you can define the output using the pagelink option
- Add: Using a list to print the pages
- Add: Add classes for special list elements, like the current-, first- and last element.
- Remove: separator - Is not needed, as you can define the output using th pagelink option and using CSS is better.
I hope you agree that this is a thing, that we should redesign/rethink. I'd be happy to receive some constructive criticism and your opinions about this feature.