I know there are several ideas in this category, but here are mine:
I rather liked the old upload functions better, but I don't see why WordPress can't just do a "file manager" approach to allowing uploads in general...?
- An general admin page that displays the directory of the designated upload folder with all content within.
- folder must have proper permissions, etc
- a browse button to locate media locally and put it into the directory
- then below that, displays all images as thumbnail previews; all swfs with icons, etc. in the upload folder.
- on write/manage page/post, a collapsible block that displays existing images/media in the uploads (or designated) folder with a click on function to insert into page/post, per earlier methods for adding images.
All I want is the ability to see EVERY image in my upload folder & to be able to select any of them in any post or page I am working on. I don't expect to upload from the page or post itself -- a general location to do uploads would work for me.