WordPress.org

Ideas

2.5: Put back the ID column on Page and Post overviews

1. gambit37
    Inactive

When developing sophisticated themes that manipulate specific page and post data, you MUST KNOW THE ID of the page or post in question. It used to be easy as you'd read that from the ID column.

This how now been removed making it a huge pain to find the ID of an item -- the only way of doing it is to roll your mouse over the title of each item and read it off the browser status bar: a total waste of time.

Please put this back!

Posted: 11 years ago #
  2. nickohrn
    Inactive

I've developed a plugin that does this for posts, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to do it for pages any time soon as there is no way to hook into it.

Until the plugin is up on the extend repository, you can download it from my website: http://nickohrn.com/wordpress-restore-id-plugin/

3. gambit37
    Inactive

Hi, thankyou, that's cool -- excellent work! :-)

I have to admit that I don't think we should be relying on plugins to replace useful features that have been removed for no apparently good reason.

I still need the feature for pages though and I really think this should be put back in. Hopefully, WordPress will hear my plea...

4. nickohrn
    Inactive

gambit37,

I've found an undocumented method to do the same for pages and added it to the plugin. It's now hosted on the official WordPress plugin site.

Here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/restore-id/

5. Rongo

Add me to the list that thinks revealing ID's for categories, pages, AND link categories should be an inherent option in WordPress, one that can be easily toggled on and off as needed.

6. holmes221

Hence another reason not to upgrade...

7. Shaun

Personally I really need this feature to be 're-implemented' as a lot of the sites I have created in WordPress rely on knowing the ID of certain pages - especially for navigational links. Totally agree with gambit37.

I'm all for simplifying and making the admin more user-friendly, but the removal of this feature makes my life (and others') much more difficult; for me, it's totally counter intuitive.

Shaun

8. JzL

In for putting the IDs back in the Manage-Pages section.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

• Rating

17 Votes
  • Status

This is plugin territory