On August 6, 2014, WordPress 3.9.2 was released to the public and WordPress 3.8.4 was released as an automatic security update for WordPress 3.8.3.
This is a security update for all previous WordPress versions.
To download WordPress 3.8.4, update automatically from the Dashboard > Updates menu in your site’s admin area or visit https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/.
For step-by-step instructions on installing and updating WordPress:
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend that you begin with the following:
- New To WordPress – Where to Start
- First Steps With WordPress or Upgrading WordPress Extended
- WordPress Lessons
From the announcement post:
- Fixes a possible denial of service issue in PHP’s XML processing, reported by Nir Goldshlager of the Salesforce.com Product Security Team. Fixed by Michael Adams and Andrew Nacin of the WordPress security team and David Rothstein of the Drupal security team.
- Prevents information disclosure via XML entity attacks in the external GetID3 library, reported by Ivan Novikov of ONSec.
- Adds protections against brute attacks against CSRF tokens, reported by David Tomaschik of the Google Security Team.
- Contains some additional security hardening, like preventing cross-site scripting that could be triggered only by administrators.
List of Files Revised