WordPress 4.9.6 included a feature to delete a user’s personal data upon verified request. Deleted data is permanently removed from the database. Erasure requests cannot be reversed after they have been confirmed.
Note: Erase Personal Data tool does not remove the data from backups or archive files: When using the tool alongside automated backups or archives, we advise you to exercise caution when restoring user data from backups. When restoring an archived copy of your site, your requests for erasure should be respected.
Note: As this tool ONLY gathers data from WordPress and participating plugins, you may need to go beyond to comply with delete requests.
Erase Personal Data tool uses email validation to send a user’s request to an administrator.
1. Select Tools -> Erase Personal Data from Administration Screens.
2. Specify Username or email address and click Send Request.
If Confirmation request initiated successfully, the request will be shown in below table and Status will be Pending.
User will receive the following mail titled ‘[<site_name>] Confirm Action: Erase Personal Data’.
Howdy, A request has been made to perform the following action on your account: Erase Personal Data To confirm this, please click on the following link: https://<site_address>/wp-login.php?action=confirmaction&request_id=120&confirm_key=4Ouy5xJDptm4aLwcJIAA You can safely ignore and delete this email if you do not want to take this action. This email has been sent to email@example.com. Regards, All at <site_name> http://<site_address>/
3. If user click link in the mail, below dialog box is shown.
At the same time, the Status of Request will be changed to Confirmed, and Next Steps shows Erase Personal Data button.
4. Click Erase Personal Data.
Status will be changed to Completed, and Next Steps displays Remove request button.
Notice: There are no confirmation prompt. Clicking the button means erasing the data.
6. Click Remove request. The request will be removed.
Notice: There are no ‘Trash’ status such as Posts’.
You can force to erase Personal Data from popup menu Force Erase Personal Data.
- Move mouse cursor on the Requester’s mail address in the Requester Table.
- Click Force Erase Personal Data.
Status of Request will be changed to Completed, and Next Steps shows Remove request button.
Notice: Even in the Pending status, you can force to erase Personal Data.
You can filter requests by Status or Requester’s mail address.
To Filter by Status
- Click All, Pending, Confirmed, Failed and Completed above Requester Table.
To Filter by Requester’s email address
- Insert full or part of email address in the box above Requester Table, and Click Search Results
You can get rid of request from Requester Table. It does not remove Personal Data.
- Select checkbox of the Request that you want to remove.
- Select Remove from Bulk Actions dropdown box and click Apply.
- Select checkbox of the Request that you want to resend the mail.
- Select Resend email from Bulk Actions dropdown box and click Apply.
To confirm what data will be erased by this tool, Go to Tools > Export Personal Data from Administration Screens, and export Personal data.