s2Member® — a powerful (free) membership plugin for WordPress®. Protect members only content with roles/capabilities.
The support is very low and poor.
Juste one person to answer ???
A little intimidating at first but very powerful plugin none the less.
I have compared the features of most of the main membership plugins on the market, I have tested those that could be tested, and I have chosen s2member because it has some unique advantages:
- I have some very specific requirements for my website, like the need to integrate with Amazon S3 to play protected videos or download protected files, to drip content, to include pay per post and teasers, to integrate seamlessly with a forum like bbpress, and to integrate with a list provider like Aweber or Mailchimp or to handle affiliates (through an optional add-on). Most of the other plugins can do some of this, but s2member was the only one that supported all the major features I needed, efficiently and gracefully.
- It has the best documentation I've seen for a membership plugin. Apart from the excellent help/documentation within the plugin itself which makes it super easy to get started, it offers a knowledge base, dozens of videos, FAQs, forums, and even documented source code for developers (even for the pro, paid for version!). It's simply the most extensive documentation I've seen and it makes it really easy to hit the ground running.
- It's the only major membership plugin which makes its source code available and fully documented. This means endless extensibility and complete peace of mind. If your business relies on it, you will never be left high and dry if things go wrong with the developers (not that we wish them anything bad, but you never know!).
- It's the only major membership plugin which offers a free version of the plugin which not only allows you to fully test if the plugin is right for you and meets your needs, but is probably enough for a majority of simple uses. Instead of a full money back warranty, you get a free, unlimited trial with a complete feature set. I love that philosophy and I applaud it.
- It's the only major membership plugin which offers a paid version with lifetime updates/upgrades (for a single one-off payment). Most of the others (if not all) ask for an annual renewal fee for updates/support, sometimes very substantial and rarely advertised upfront.
- Even better, that one-off payment is only a fraction of what most of the others ask for the first year, even if you get the developers license.
- Because of its open source roots, it is supported by a wide community of users and developers.
- It offers a lot of standard features (even in the free version), but also many ways to extend them and customise them.
Now is it perfect? No, but neither is any plugin.
There are a few areas which could be improved, like for example supporting Stripe as a payment method (hopefully it's on its way), or supporting Amazon SES to streamline the registration process and handle directly some simple email broadcasts.
But overall, the combination of power, flexibility and value offered by s2member (free and pro version) is simply unique. Yes it can still grow and extend its feature set, but if it does what you need (and the great thing about s2member is that you can test that without having to pay for it), then you can't go wrong with it.
It's solidly build, very well designed, its interface feels familiar yet is very powerful.
Finally I love the generosity of the developers who have decided to make such a gem available for free. Quite a stark contrast with some plugins which are either suddenly not supported anymore (what do you do if that happens and you have built your business around such a plugin?) or hold you in hostage with yearly fees once your website is built around their product and you are more or less a captive user.
All this made me want to pay for the Pro version to support them, even if I didn't really need the pro features right now and could happily just use the very powerful free version until my website grows and requires the upgrade. It's that good!
s2Member is the only membership plugin you will need! It integrates VERY well with my themes (x6 of them so far). I upgraded to the Pro for its login widget option and have found, this is an invaluable plugin.
Your plugin is SUPERB! I recommend it to anyone that asks about WordPress and memberships and will not hesitate to tell them about the great support you provide.
I've been a s2member pro customer for over one year. My technical knowledge is very limited, yet I was able to fully integrate this tool to my WordPress site. Because of my lack of knowledge, I sometimes encounter challenges - it's usually when I unintentionally break something and then don't know how to fix it. However, their support staff is fantastic, they are always ready to help and so far they always got me back on track.
As far as I am concerned, I have no regrets and I would by it again.
Installed the plugin and it seems to be powerful and useful as a membership/subscription system. It just lacks a good front-end interface between my WP Theme'd site and its functionality. This could be awesome if users could login and/or register via a page that is consistent with my site's theme.
I have installed to "Capability Manager Enhanced" to decouple the levels, so I now have 5 different acces levels which do not depend on each other and all for free.
A good review is the minimum I can do to say thanks!
Plus the 5 star rating of course.
I use this site for a thousand plus membership site and it works really well maintaining payments and registrations. Also the support is phenomenal.
I've used s2member for about a year now. I went with the Pro version at the outset because I needed the Authorize.Net functionality. I originally chose this over the other membership plugins due to its extensive documentation and video tutorials.
The videos really laid it out from setup to using the software on a more surgical level. Without the videos I may not have been able to so quickly wrap my head around how to navigate this software.
The point where I realized it was going to completely meet my needs was when I watched the video detailing "custom capabilities." What that means is instead of having to create multiple membership "levels" for users when selling different goods, I could set everyone at the same level, and just grant them access or "capabilities" to functionality. Sort of like an a la carte checkout system. This basically creates a flat hierarchy that's far easier to manage and less brittle over the long term.
The other key to my choosing this was I needed to make sure this worked outside of the WordPress environment. I have custom software that runs on the site, but I use mod_rewrite and a front controller to intercept some things that I don't want WordPress to process directly. I still need to have these areas integrate with the membership restrictions, and s2member is able to accommodate this by acting as a membership firewall and bridge to WordPress.
Constantly and carefully updated. Extensive video library and knowledge base articles. Responsive forum support (nothing is left unresolved). Receptive to feature requests. An overall pleasant experience.
Lots of features designed to work well with other plugins too.
I have found s2Member very easy to understand all of its capabilities including some of its limitations, but they seem to be in constant development and improvement.
And I have found it is a great backbone for my site even tho I only offer free memberships it still offers alot of functionality for my site. I did upgrade to the pro version however, specifically for the login widget so that the backend of the website is completly hidden. It works really well. I'm still relatively new to wordpress, and I've only had to paste 1 single line of PHP so far. They have good Good Support within the customer forum.
I'm still working hard on my site although you can check my progress and feel welcome to sign up if your a gamer too :D
You must log in to submit a review. You can also log in or register using the form near the top of this page.