Hey DavyB, I read your comment and appreciate the feedback, even if it was perhaps a bit on the aggressive side. I'll try to clear some things up.
I know it might seem crazy that someone seemingly provided a fix but I didn't apply it, the reason was that it's a workaround not a fix (not to demean huyz' generous contribution; I've already thanked him personally), and I was not aware of the repercussions it might have on the other systems (wp and wp-mu), I simply don't have much experience regarding all of the intricate little differences between the APIs of wp, wp-ms, and wp-mu (and by extension: wp-ms network-wide and blog-specific, wp-mu network-wide and blog-specific) and it is in no way aided by the fact that they seem to diverge and converge at will. There's simply a lot of combinations that I'm not familiar with. I admit it.
The truth is this plugin was originally just for wordpress, but someone contributed a patch for MU and then multisite. Obviously the APIs have changed since then though, and so now some of that support is broken. I simply don't have the motivation to keep track of every little change and cover every edge case.
For example: the patch you linked provides blog-level multisite support but not network-wide. I agree that this functionality is better than nothing though, so I've merged in the patch and credited him and rolled out a release. Let me know how it goes for you. Hopefully it works out.
I'm not trying to hold this plugin hostage or deliberately stagnate its development, nor do I push out a release while snickering at the thought that you might have to 're-patch' it manually. If anyone is interested in taking up development of this plugin I would be glad to provide access to the plugin repository, preferably someone who is familiar with the aforementioned intricate differences between the WP, WP-MS, and maybe even WP-MU APIs.
Otherwise, you might want to try out this plugin.