I'm interested in some feedback on the WordPress site itself. I have ideas for the site I'd like to get some feedback on, and I'm also curious what sort of resources you'd like available. Here are my plans:
- For the front page I'd like a nicer statement that ties everything the project is about together, and points to the Dev Blog and Downloads. Should there be a blog on the front page too? I'm not sure.
- On downloads, I'd like to set up some sort of shell script that automates downloading, unzipping, and CHMODing WordPress in one fell swoop. If you've set up more than one blog, you know what a pain it can be to go through all the steps.
- On that note, I'd like to make a permanent URL that redirects to the latest version, so if you wget wordpress.org/latest it would send you a tar of the latest release, and /bleeding-edge would send you the latest CVS snapshot, etc.
- I'd like a changelog and release notes for each version to live in About.
- Development Blog, I'd like to expand this to be more "bloggy," though I am thinking about possibly cutting comments and just allowing trackbacks. The one column layout is tough to work with though.
- This forum, I'm pretty happy with the software that's running this forum. I didn't want to go with one of the "real" forum packages like phpBB simply because there's a whole lot of cruft that really isn't needed here. It was a pain getting it XHTML complaint (and still isn't totally done) but I think it has a lot of possibility. I'm pretty familiar with the code so hacking in a feature wouldn't be too hard.
- Download page, latest release available as zip or tar.gz, everyone should be happy.
I'd like to add a documentation and FAQ section, but beyond that I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas?